Question about map sensor!

lvaleiron

Member +
Hi, i've been thinking for a while about this, right now i'm using a 2jz map sensor on my car and it's been working fine, no issues at all. My question is, this is a 1.2 bar map sensor, while the gt one is a 1 bar map sensor. I've heard that this is a common upgrade for people using 1jz supra to avoid fuel cut. So, this mean that this map sensor send a lower voltage for the same psi. I think this will help lean out a bit the mixture when running on boost and you can get a few horses from that. Of course, this is what i think, i'm not sure, anyone can confirm this???

eptercel82

Member +
Just to clarify something... MAP sensors are rated to the maximum absolute pressure they can measure. Remember atmospheric pressure is 1 bar, so a 2 bar MAP sensor is good for up to 1 bar of boost (approx 14.7 psi). So technically speaking the stock Supra MAP sensor is a 2-and-a-bit bar sensor. :)

lvaleiron

Member +
yeah i know that lol:p, but people just call them 1 bar for a 2 bar map sensor and so on. Anyway, i'm gonna do some data logging as soon as my car is back on it's wheel to see if there is any difference between using this one and the stock starlet one.

Marty!

Member +
Map Sensor

Been reading acouple off the posts on these and im just lost,

im gona get a greedy emb of nick @ tuningdevelopments and would like to know what these map sensors do and do i need one.
Im sure u guys can help
Cheers Marty

Phil

Super Moderator
map sensor.

manifold absolute pressure sensor. i dont think emanage requires another map sensor, your ecu fuels dependant on the map sensor reading, so if your map sensor cant read as high as your boost, (i think standard one is only happy until a little over 1 bar) then the ecu/piggyback will get confused and throw excess fuel in at the top of the rev range. so for a perfect tune @ high boost you would probably want to upgrade your map sensor.

sxturbo/dane may have found a cosworth 3bar sensor that works with apexi power fc's, but they would need to comment on that as i just dont know!

hope thats right and that it helps. :)

Phil

lvaleiron

Member +
If you are staying at 1 bar of boost you can get away with the stock map sensor, if you are planning on boosting higher, then you need to think in buying the Greddy map sensor. Why is that?, well, the thing is that the stock map sensor is what people call 1 bar map sensor, and it can't read more than a couple of psi above 1 bar. Hope this helps mate!

Marty!

Member +
lol cheers guys, im gona be running tongs turbo and sps mani and decat would like to run around 1.1 1.2 bar is that posable on stock internals and can ya get that out of a tongs turbo

Phil

Super Moderator
sure is :) get chris to map that emb and your flying! im not sure on the figures :) depends what dyno you head to! you'll be about 185whp with a good tune @1.1ish bar on a decent hybrid i think.

disclaimer, anything in bold is a total guesstimate!

Phil