radiator cap

hey all , i changedmy gt radiator and put honda civic radator the question is there is numbers writen at the radiator cap like ( honda cap 1.1 and toyotas 0.6) what that numbers mean ?

thechomper

Member +
it more then likey means the rating of pressure that the rad cap can stand ,i have a aftermarket rad cap which is rated to 1.3 bar of boost,thats what am thinking it means ,hopefully that helps

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
the toyota one should be 0.9

it is the pressure rating of the cap. it wont pass any coolant into the expansion tank until the pressure in the system reaches that pressure

Fatman

Member +
A higher rated cap will maintain a higher pressure within the cooling system. Coolant under higher pressure can retain and remove more heat with better efficiency. The disadvantage is that if your hoses/clamps/joiners/radiator core etc aren't up to the task of holding back the increased pressure you're more likely to spring a leak at a weak point.

Toyota standard caps are generally 0.9bar, Honda or many other aftermarket caps are 1.1bar.

If you're getting close to the limitations of the cooling system under high loads then an uprated cap can provide a small boost in capacity.

so ppl now im using the honda radiator with toyota cap and the tepmreture at idel and when car not moving is at the middel , and when i drive with weather tempreture is 15c its drop to the min , my question is which one will be better ? i mean if i put honda cap the temp will be stable at the middel or what ?