Rear disc conversion - need cylinder?

My Sera has just had a rear disc conversion and been MOT'd, but it has failed on the back brakes. The guy reckons it may need a different master cylinder, has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone confirm if the master cylinder is any different, or if there's something else he's missing?

Any help much appreciated!

Texx

Super Moderator
According to the EPC you have the option of 2 master cylinders.

47201-10140/18010 - without ABS
47201-10160 - with ABS

Both part numbers are also relevant to the EP82 GT, again with or without ABS. It's unlikely the master cylinder is causing the problem.

Is the brake pedal firm or spongy? Does the car stop OK? Have you tried bleeding the brakes again?

AFAIK (although I could be wrong) the MOT brake test for imported vehicles that cannot be found on VOSA's MOT system, should not require the use of the usual roller brake tester. The test instead basically involves placing a brakemeter or decelerometer (also used for testing 4x4 vehicles) inside the vehicle and then accelerating up to approx 20-25mph before operating the foot brake, the meter will measure the amount of braking force generated which will indicate a pass or fail. The parking brake should also be tested by similarly driving the car and then pulling the parking brake lever up to confirm both rear wheels lock.

I'm struggling to find any information to back this up, but it's the way in which the brakes on my car have been tested for the past 3 years.

It's now looking like the problem may be one of the calipers. Had a look at the Sera forum conversion thread, pretty sure a different cylinder is not needed now.

Still, cheers Texx!