dark_knight

Member +
wondering if anyone has had their (rebuilt) ct9b seep oil. it appears that my recently rebuilt one is bleeding oil into the hot-side and it burns away as white smoke. running 15w-40 and this only manifests itself when the oil is hot (around 80 deg C). or could someone explain the white smoke to me..
it's especially evident when hot-idling and then pulling away..

mork

Member +
Oil doesn't burn white, water does. Oil is blue and stinks. Water, because of the coolant, will smell sweeter. Are you sure the turbo is blowing oil? I have the same problem as you, when hot and after pulling away, I get smoke, but it's blue. Currently changing the valve stem seals, hoping that will stop this.

dark_knight

Member +
valve stems

i'm running green-stuff coolant in mine -- 100% coolant with no anti-freeze as we are in the tropics so i doubt it's what's burning, could be though. now that you mention it, wouldn't valve stem seals burn and give smoke consistently..? not just when pulling away..?

mork

Member +
Smoke at idle when hot and then when pulling away is a sure sign of stem seals gone. Have you seen oil in the hotpipe or intercooler? Did you prime the turbo properly?

dark_knight

Member +
the turb was primed and is all good. as of the last time i checked, there was no oil on the intake side -- but again, this does not mean that the exhaust side may not be bleeding. it is possible to bleed on one end and not the other..
oh well, i'm guessing i'd have to plan for my rebuild sooner rather than later.. :|

dark_knight

Member +
rogue catch-can perhaps?

currently Rev, my crankcase breathing is set up to vent via an atmospheric catch can .. and after reading this, it leads me to think that since there is no vacuum helping the gases vent away from the crankcase, it's proli why i'm smoking..? i'm just trying to figure out how come it's not a constant smoking..? coz some days with similar conditions on idle, it'll smoke. other days it won't..
#baffled

Rev

Member +
currently i'm just trying to figure out how come it's not a constant smoking..? coz some days with similar conditions on idle, it'll smoke. other days it won't.. #baffled

Just a guess but heavy humidity days can create more water vapour plus crankcase gases condense and build up over time this means sometimes you have lets say 'a steam engine with lots of presssurised water vapour' in your crankcase pushing oil ?