Reducing wheelspin

cameroon95

Member +
Hi guys,

Well after bypassing the boost solenoid on my glanza, Iv noticed wayyyy more wheelspin. I did used to own a gt, id forgotten how bloody bad it can be sometimes, particulary in the wet.

I do have newish tyres on the car. Can anyone recommend me some mods that will stop me spinning at the lights?:p bar me taking it easier on the acceleration of course:cool:

Glanza_cl

Member +
i don't think there is a great deal you can do, apart from lsd, a firm suspension set up with maybe an anti lift kit may help a bit but when it's wet it's gunna happen.

long way would be perhaps having a safc and limiting the boost levels in the first few gears then having it open up the other gears- obviously not a restrictive and the oem restriction but you get my drift.

Rory

Lifer
Grippy tyres
Wider wheels
LSD
Torque damber
ALK
Stiff coilies

Stiff Coilovers, come on now think about it....

Good tyres, and suspension setup is the key.
Also take your foot off the loud pedal, remember it isnt a switch, there is modulation there..... :p

munday

Member +
wahh? wider...more rubber on road...??

The only things that affect the amount of rubber in contact with the road is the pressure in the tyres and the weight acting on them. If you think about a 30psi tyre it will be supporting 30 pounds per square inch, no matter how wide the tyre is.

Having a wider tyre changes the shape of the contact patch and helps with heat dissipation but wont get you more grip, you either need more weight on the tyre or a different compound ;)

durmz

Member +
The only things that affect the amount of rubber in contact with the road is the pressure in the tyres and the weight acting on them. If you think about a 30psi tyre it will be supporting 30 pounds per square inch, no matter how wide the tyre is.

Having a wider tyre changes the shape of the contact patch and helps with heat dissipation but wont get you more grip, you either need more weight on the tyre or a different compound ;)

so why dont we all role round on biscuit tins? why do formula one cars that weigh fuck all have leeeength wide tyres?

30 pounds per square inch...wider tyre...more inches

durmz

Member +
ive gone away...thought about it... and i dont mean to be rude... but ure chatting absolute bollocks mate :confused: :teach:

TomS

Lifer
Remember that wider wheels/tyres will not get you more grip or an increased contact patch ;)

Are you trying to say that a 205 tyre at 30 psi will have the same amount of grip and contact patch as a 175 at the same pressure?

that dosen't make since to me :homer:

durmz

Member +
Are you trying to say that a 205 tyre at 30 psi will have the same amount of grip and contact patch as a 175 at the same pressure?

that dosen't make since to me :homer:

thankyou very much....get ure coat mate

munday

Member +
so why dont we all role round on biscuit tins? why do formula one cars that weigh fuck all have leeeength wide tyres?

30 pounds per square inch...wider tyre...more inches

Because of what i said about heat dissipation, wider/bigger wheels will dissipate more heat so wont overheat as easily. For thin tyres to maintain the contact patch the sidewall needs to deform more than a wider tyre, this also creates heat. Because thinner tyres produce more heat, they need to be a harder compound to resist overheating.

Let me give you an example for the psi bit...say you have 200 pounds (working with pounds to make it easier) acting on a tyre at 25 psi, that would have 8 square inches in contact with the tarmac. The width of the tyre has no bearing on this measurment.

Last edited: