registering an import help

williep91

Fresh Recruit
My glanza is running a bit late on delivery due to the company holding it getting screwed over last night but when it arrives i will need to register it myself. the duty has been paid on the car and the customs form and japan auction invoice is with the car.

im not really 100% sure on how to go about registering it with those forms, do i wait for a reg. no. before i mot the car or do i mot it first? any help on how to go about this would be much appreciated thanks?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i think you MOT (or sva, if required) then you can register the car and you get your reg number. after that, you insure it, tax it and your away

williep91

Fresh Recruit
i think you MOT (or sva, if required) then you can register the car and you get your reg number. after that, you insure it, tax it and your away

thats what i didnt get. how can you get a mot with no reg. plate? is it just the chassie no. they write on it for DVLA?

dac69er

Super Moderator
you can get an mot without the reg number. my cars first mot just says unregistered on it.

williep91

Fresh Recruit
that makes it alot clearer now, thanks mate. was thinking there i could of driven the car up to scotland now with no plates legally if i booked it in for a mot up here. its the closest mot centre to you though, that would be taking the P155 abit haha!

FerryScoob

Member +
My trader policy would cover it providing its going to an mot centre but by law it has to be local.

Yeah trader policy covers you for that. Your MOT should also be pre-arranged. Just incase the police stop you. This make it is easy to prove you were going for the MOT.

Barry.

*starlet_babe*

Member +
Knowing from registering my dads imports;

1. I think you will need insurance cover, if its trade one, your name will need to be stated on there. altho I would check as due to u registering it as personal car rather than to the business address.

2. MOT will be needed but DVLA should re issue you a fresh mot cert including the new reg no as if you get stopped the mot could be any car.

3. You will need what look like an jap reg document to be sent in with the docs.

TBH hun I would go into your local dvla and get them to clarify all the forms and details you need before hand.

Hope this also helps

Sammie x

scotty01

Member +
You cannot drive any car legally on uk roads without insurance it can be a traders or private policy to drive to and from a pre-booked mot,it must also be insured to register it. :p

Anyone who drives without insuring their vehicle is complete cock and deserves to lose everything!:flame: