Remote Central Locking: Genuine Toyota

waglanzav

Fresh Recruit
Hi,

I have a 1998 glanza v with the genuine remote central locking and it has stopped working. The little light on the remote flashes but the doors don't unlock.

I was just wondering if there is something I can do short of replacing the whole system? Has anyone successfully replaced the remote, as I can't seem to open it to replace the battery? Thanks.

Matt.

GT_Chris

Member +
Hi,

I have a 1998 glanza v with the genuine remote central locking and it has stopped working. The little light on the remote flashes but the doors don't unlock.

I was just wondering if there is something I can do short of replacing the whole system? Has anyone successfully replaced the remote, as I can't seem to open it to replace the battery? Thanks.

Matt.

Have you checked the fuses mate always worth a try. also when opening the car with the standard remote try pointing the remote up towards the interior light when unlocking.

Cause ive got the standard remote aswell as my alarm system remote, and the standard one dont seem to work only unless i point it up towards interior light.

bucketep91

Member +
interior light? i thought it was the rear view mirror thats what i point mines tooand it works fine. mines doesnt work when the turbo timer is on tho :(

Tanz

Lifer
did you try spraying a wee bit of wd40 up inside all the locks.... Sometimes if you have a sticky lock it can cause the central locking not to work....

Worth a try anyway.....

Tanz

Lifer
hes talking about the remote m8 not the locks themselves

Im a girl...

and ahh i know that but i had the same problem with my m3 and i was convinced it was the remote rang the dealers and they said ya its the remote bring her in and we will charge you a fortune and replace it for you....Then got the idea of spraying the locks and would you believed it worked....

just taught if it worked for me it might for him is all....

waglanzav

Fresh Recruit
interior light? i thought it was the rear view mirror thats what i point mines tooand it works fine. mines doesnt work when the turbo timer is on tho :(

Ah so is that what the black cover on the rear vision mirror is for?? It has a wire running behind it which plugs into something or other... I just held the black plastic up to the sun and looked thru, and it looks red when the light goes thru it... I would have thought tho the remote should work wherever you point it that sux

did you try spraying a wee bit of wd40 up inside all the locks.... Sometimes if you have a sticky lock it can cause the central locking not to work....

Worth a try anyway.....

Actually one of the locks is a little sticky, so I'll give that a go as well!

waglanzav

Fresh Recruit
Actually one more question, has anyone managed to replace the remote? Like can you go to Toyota and get a new one for your starlet? There is a part number just wondering if it works or not. Thanks.

BallıGee

Member +
Actually one more question, has anyone managed to replace the remote? Like can you go to Toyota and get a new one for your starlet? There is a part number just wondering if it works or not. Thanks.

ive got a new one fron toyota but never found the programe to tune it in

best way to see if your old one work is to get a camra phone and point the led at the front of the remote at it and you should see a purple light

and its a sealed unit by the way withe the battery soildered in

go luck

waglanzav

Fresh Recruit
ive got a new one fron toyota but never found the programe to tune it in

best way to see if your old one work is to get a camra phone and point the led at the front of the remote at it and you should see a purple light

and its a sealed unit by the way withe the battery soildered in

go luck

Ha cool yeah I just tried it and mine has a purple flash when I press it. I guess I just need to point it in the right spot.

I would like a spare though, so it can work by pairing a new one with your car somehow?

mossie477

Member +
i had the central locking thing for about 2 years. never workrd for me. i put in an earthing kit and it started working?? mind you i have to have it near enough against the window. but it works

BallıGee

Member +
Ha cool yeah I just tried it and mine has a purple flash when I press it. I guess I just need to point it in the right spot.

I would like a spare though, so it can work by pairing a new one with your car somehow?

some how it can be programed but not the uk spec way i even ask the toyota tech dept they told me to get lost:)

waglanzav

Fresh Recruit
lol now you know how i feel when i do this on the forecort of the dealers the customers look at me thinking what is he doing to that door

ps no thats one of the uk ways to programme a remote

Oh well thanks, I won't try that. Can't believe you did that in public ha ha I bet they thought you had some sort of mental problem...

Wonder what the jdm way to program is?

Last edited: