Replacing outer CV gaiters

Paton

Member +
Is there a guide for this as i have a split one needing replaced as soon as . Is it easy enough to do or is it a job for a garage?

Shib786

Member +
you mean the rubber boot? if so, can be done yourself but we usually order a "stretchy" boot which is a lot easier to fit as you dont have to take off your c.v joint, but i would recommend getting a garage getting it done, should only charge £10 labour?

starletsam

Member +
lol i just did mine today!only problem was gettin CV joint off the driveshaft but a few hits with a rubber mallet sorted the problem.i only changed the boot and regreased joint which was clunking and at the moment its actually silent so seems to be all good but chances are it might be busted.if so when i replace it i will do a tutorial for everyone.basically once the wheels off you need to take off the pin and hub bolt cover,removed the 2 bolts holding on brake caliper and the ones holding the brake line to strut.then get off the disc and caliper.then undo the hub bolt,although i replaced the wheel and lowered the car weight onto it to do that then i undid the lower arm for movement once the wheel was off again then using a hub extractor push the cv joint through and swing off hub so your left with driveshaft & cv joint hanging down.remove cv joint which will slide off,however it will be stiff.i undid the other end of the drive shaft so i had the shaft and 2 ends out.i then put the cv joint back through the hub but on the outside and did the bolt up on the inside and tapped it with a rubber mallet till the shaft came out the joint.then slid off destroyed boot and replaced with the new boot.then i just put it all back together again and there you go all done!if you break the clips holding the boot on you can use cable ties.hope this helps!!