running in a turbo?

Ady

Member +
i shall hopefully be fitting my new hybrid tomorrow.

just wondering is there any need to run it in, i.e. take it easy for a number of miles? it is brand new so i dont want to stick it on and give it full boost if it may do any damage.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Been told there are no parts to bed in on turbos, just make sure u prime it with oil then u can run full boost from the word go.

Monty

Member +
I am unsure but for peace of mind i would drive it for 10-15 miles and let it gradually build boost up in levels. Thats what i would do personally so that in the event the turbo shat itself i might not know what caused it but i would know it wasn't because i gave it the booting straight away.

But thats just me, paranoid. LOL

Ady

Member +
yes thats exactly what i was thinking! just wont feel right if i boot it straight away.

i might phone turbotechnics or something im sure they will tell me exactly what needs to be done.

Cooch

Member +
Im like Monty but worse i hate the thought of not running stuff in properly. I'd do a couple of hundred miles before i gave it full tilt. But as i said i am really poncy! Lol

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Always wise to play it safe for peace of mind, though i ran my hybrid from the the word go and will be doing the same with my TD04 when it arrives.

Last edited:

koolgtstarlet

Fresh Recruit
Drive it with gradual demands. if you have a boost gauge then just push the PSI up a notch each time you sprint off until you are comfortable with the spooling and performance gains. Over time you should know if it is working better.

Ady

Member +
its not a BB turbo, and its only going to run 15 psi.

so you guys think it will be good to go as soon as its all warmed up?

dac69er

Super Moderator
nothing needs bedding in but warming it all up carefully and slowly is a good idea. if you drive the car from cold like you normally would then just try boosting it up a few times to make sure it sounds ok and seems to spool ok then you should be fine. there is no garuantee but its a risk you have to take witha rebuilt turbo. if its gonna die itll die, better at lower boost though!

just dont get it glowing red or anything first time you use it

Ady

Member +
I heard there turbos shit themselves easily, anyone confirm this or had experience?

i have read bad reports about them on here. i am a little wary about it but the best way to find out is experience i suppose.

Ady

Member +
i might just turn the boost right down for a few days to make sure. then i will turn it up gradually