Setup

rickie

Member +
Ok, my friend has just purchased his td04 kit from Sam. Just needing a few things answered now. He is concerned over how much power and boost he can run without forging the engine. Also he wants to know about whether or not he needs to get the ecu mapped as he has got a JAM ecu. Smythy on this site has one on his td04 gt and says it is self learning but I have heard others that have got the JAM mapped using emanage or other piggybacks.

Any wise wise words will be much appreciated, Rickie.

Matt_Seicentos

Member +
I am the same as your m8 except I'll be going for an Emanage, I was under the impressions that around 220-230bhp was safe with a good map on an unforged engine?

A

Animal GT

i couldnt see the engine lastin long at 220 230 bhp mate..yea iv heard a few runing .9 bar or 1 bar but no more and seems to be safe enough

TurboDave

Member +
Running 1 bar on a TD04 and with spirited driving and an unforged engine isnt going to last very long at all.

Running 220/230bhp on std internals is more than pushing it, they may survive for a few months but not much longer and imho putting a TD04 on an unforged engine is a waste of money because you cant run the big boost to get the good power which nullifies the extra lag you experience with the TD04

Matt_Seicentos

Member +
Running 1 bar on a TD04 and with spirited driving and an unforged engine isnt going to last very long at all.

Running 220/230bhp on std internals is more than pushing it, they may survive for a few months but not much longer and imho putting a TD04 on an unforged engine is a waste of money because you cant run the big boost to get the good power which nullifies the extra lag you experience with the TD04

I'm more than happy to run it as is on standard internals at 1 BAR then if it does go I'll get it done. Thankfully with 2 cars I don't have to worry about it too much lol.

TurboDave

Member +
Yeah I see what you mean but be prepared becuase I cracked 3 sets of ringlands on my hybrid at 1.3 bar :) which wouldnt be far off 1 bar on a TD04.

Dave

TurboDave

Member +
No Gav mate, there is more stress on the engine with a TD04 at 1 bar than a Hybrid at 1 bar because the TD04 will be flowing a higher CFM of air and forcing the engine to produce more power due to the extra air over the Hybrid.

Ok, my friend has just purchased his td04 kit from Sam. Just needing a few things answered now. He is concerned over how much power and boost he can run without forging the engine. Also he wants to know about whether or not he needs to get the ecu mapped as he has got a JAM ecu. Smythy on this site has one on his td04 gt and says it is self learning but I have heard others that have got the JAM mapped using emanage or other piggybacks.

Any wise wise words will be much appreciated, Rickie.

ok...here's my take
i think 1 bar is enough for standard internals..maybe a little more or a little less....depending on how well the tune is...this should give around 200 -230bhp (at the flywheel)
the only way to tell if he will need a piggyback and additional mapping is by going to a rolling road and checking the a/f ratios, etc...as all cars are different and there may also be some variations in the JAM units

to start things off....put some 330cc injectors in with the JAM ecu...and no rrfprs....the jam does not like those......take it directly to the tuner (on low boost) and get the a/f ratios logged........then work from there

in relation to standard internals not holding up...again....it has been proven that standard internals can provide a lot of power in both the 5efte and 4efte.....its ALL in the tune and health of your engine.....

also, a lot depends on how u drive the car daily....if u are always blasting over the place,,,,then whether or not u have standard internals or forgies...your engine will have a shorter life span