Shake after clutch replacement

Jdace

Hi guys, I may be overreacting here but I want to explain just incase. I have done my first clutch replacement (backyard repair).

I'll start from the beginning- When I first reversed the car the engine and wheels shook pretty bad, but Im putting that down to being the stalling point as it goes away as soon as the pedal is fully out.

My 'problem' is when Im down shifting, can only seem to feel it when going down to second. From third to second it gives a quick shake, but if i release the clutch fast or 'drop' the clutch its fine. So the shake is only felt from when I first release the pedal to the biting point of the clutch. It seems to be ok if I change from third to second in a higher speed than normal.. but i havnt tested that properly as I havnt 'worn it in yet'

Now, im hoping to hear thats normal stuff for a new clutch, but i want to be safe than sorry. Im worried because I didn't 'torque' the flywheel with a torque wrench.. just used a possibly flat impact wrench.. (i know, i know.. we do stupid stuff when we're young right?)

One more thing, I rang exedy today asking about the wearing in process, and he recons you dont really need to since its the oem replacement.. but im going to anyway to be safe. Thanks for reading

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
any grease or oil on the flywheel, pressure plate or clutch disc?

I had a clutch that did the same thing a few years ago. was a bad batch of clutches as a few people had that issue.

I have replaced that clutch and also fitted the same type of clutch I had issues with before and it has been fine. what brand is the clutch out of interest?

Jdace

Mm all was cleaned with brake parts cleaner before fitted, so there shouldn't be any grease on them. No toyota parts, it was an exedy kit

elison

Member +
Had the chattering more or less like you described with my newly intalled Competiton Clutch. But as it was being run in and reaching the recommended break in mileage the chattering slowly faded of. Maybe its because its a new clutch and needs some break in???

dac69er

Super Moderator
Had the chattering more or less like you described with my newly intalled Competiton Clutch. But as it was being run in and reaching the recommended break in mileage the chattering slowly faded of. Maybe its because its a new clutch and needs some break in???

but yours is a paddle type clutch so will be different.

a standard style clutch should need no real breaking in. the juddery exedy clutch I had juddered from new until I replaced it. put an organic clutch in and it was fine.

I also have an exedy paddle clutch and that was fine from new too.

Jdace

was it one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2805...ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

if so that is the same type of clutch that myself and some other members had trouble with a few years back. maybe they just have bad batches now and again!?

I have fitted one recently and it is perfect so maybe it is just the luck of the draw with these clutches!?

Yeah part number tyk 6924, bought in new zealand. And unfortunately my starting problem is back (u may have seen my last thread in electric topic?). So im gonna buy some new leads and go from there..