Smoke at idle ??? wagwaaaan

Topher-EP82

Member +
Hi guys,

My car smokes a bit when i am on full boost.. This i have been told by many an enthusiast ( following my car ) and by mechanics alike that is is just unburnt fuel as my ECU is a JAM racing one and so it runs rich for safety..

How ever, i was cruising along at idle earlier ( saving fuel to get to the petrol garage lol ) and i noticed some smoke. i then came to a stop.. my idle seemed to drop just north of 600 Rpm... It then started to let a little smoke out, i then blipped the throttle and it seemed quite a bit of greyish smoke that came out.. it didn't smell to good either..

What could this be ? i ahve never owned a car that smoked a idle..

Could this be turbo oil seals at a guess ??

any help would be much appreciated, i am thinking of selling the car soon and want it sorted when i sell it so i am happy the new owner has a Very decent car..

please help me lads i know there are loads of smoke questions but i have never read any with smoke at idle..

car is an EP91.. full exhaust from turbo back, stainless mani on turbo.. Tmic. dump valve . Hks actuator . JAM RACING Ecu its running 1.0 bar.. made 171 Hp at 0.8 bar this was with a restrictive HKS superdragger on it,, it now has a japspeed system... clive atthowe ( http://enginetuning.net/ ) is where i had it dynoed and he said it was one of the helathlyest glanza's he had seen. had sparks, leads, oil filter and oil changed when it was there. this was under 2 months ago..

Thanks,
Topher

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
Oil burns a blue colour mate.
White/grey'ish is burning water.
Have you checked the oil filler cap for mayo? Dipstick? Hows your overflow bottle looking? Is it dirty and full of shit?
Get a compression test done, that will rule out the engine, other than that the other option would be the turbo.

Topher-EP82

Member +
thank you so much adam.. very fast reply i'll see if i can get it tested on saturday mate.

I'll go and check the water bottle once i've eaten and report back..

That would point to head gasket right ?

lol it won't let me rep you for a super fast and concise reply... shame.

AdamB

Member +
It would depend on what the compression test says really mate, sometimes a headgasket is only a small blow and won't show up much of an indication. But since ct9 turbo's can be picked up for next to nothing, it could be worth swapping over anyway, and keeping one for spare.

Are you losing much water at all? Or any that you've noticed? I would just top it up and keep an eye on the level, if it doesn't drop or doesn't drop much at all, I wouldn't be too worried unless it starts getting really thirsty.