Smoke at idle ..

Topher-EP82

Member +
hi guys,

firstly i have exhausted the resource area for answers to this and i can find nothing..

i noticed my idle has been droping recently to around the 500 - 600 rpm mark. it occasionally idles at 2000 rpm but with a blip it either drops to 900 - 1000 rpm or climbs from the low idle back to this again as normal..

i got home today from work and whilst my car was idling on the turbo timer i could smell hot exhaust gases. i got out to see smoke coming out of the exhaust at idle... car was warm as its a hot day and i drove 5 miles home..

its is grey smoke and smells like hot oil ? temperature gauge was fine and oil level is topped up . no mayo or anything like that...

anyone have any ideas..

could this be valve stem seals ? i hope its not piston rings... :S

i don't know the common faults on the 4e-fte engine.

shall i buy a compression tester and test it at the weekend for compression..

its gash.. i've no problems until now.. any help is welcome.

superspat

Member +
let it stabd over night and check for smoke on start up as thats the usual tell tell signs of valve stem seal,
dose it some when on boost or on over run?
have u got any oil coming out of your dump valve and would be worth taking the hot pipe of and check for oil in the intercooler pipe work and take the cat/decat of and see if its wet with oil, that would point towards turbo seals, if they all dry then i would do a compression test as should give more of an idea of were to look for the problem

worth doing a compression test

Topher-EP82

Member +
no smoke on start up.. smokes a little bit on boost but only under hard throttle.. and i've been told this is burnt fuel.

I'll take the hot pipe off and check for any oil. checked the Decat when ifitted my exhuast and that was fine..

it made 171hp on the dyno with basic mods and a Jam ecu so surely the turbo seals can't be gone.

tiniest bit of oil around the dump valve but i am talking literally not even a rain drop smeared around the whole thing. its a DV24 baileys so has openings all the way round..

I'll report back about the hot pipe and if its ok i'll do or get a compression test.

thankyou for you help. appreciate it.