Springs question

ryu

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys,

Many have already posted similar questions, asking for the best springs for improving handling, or lowering etc...
But my case is a bit weird :)
Many more parameters come into the equation...

Currently my Glanza V has its stock suspension. At the boot, I have about a 60+Kg of sound system.

I noticed that when I get off a bump hard, or when 1-2 persons are sitting at the back and I drive on a bumpy road... the driver's side rear tire’s wall, hits the lower inside edge of the fender! :(

As a result the tire is in pretty bad shape right now and I should replace it as soon as I find a solution to this problem.

My current stock suspension, barely passed the MOT, therefore I started looking for a replacement. I wanted to avoid spending a fortune on a complete coil over kit, so I got myself a set of KYB Excel G gas shocks.

Now I'm looking for a set of springs for my case. I am not interested on lowering my ride. Just a little if I have to. I've seen springs lowering as low as 6cm!!! The springs with the smallest amount of lowering (~2-2.5cm) I found, were the RS*R ones, with a spring ratio of 2.8.

Do you believe that this can solve my problem? Is the springs' ratio hard enough? Or can you suggest a better set of springs?

I understand that the correct approach to solve this, would be to check my fender, as my car could have been involved in a small accident back in Japan, before I buy it. I checked that case with a professional, but there is a risk of ruining the paintjob, and having to repaint the whole fender again (costly)!

Thank you for using your time going through my problem. Hopefully someone can help me come into a solution :)

Beaker

Member +
Easy answer to this is to remove the sound system. You dont need 60kg of stereo in your boot!!

ryu

Fresh Recruit
That's a really quick solution ;)

Well, if I have 2 persons sitting at the back seats, I will have the same problem in our shitty roads (Cyprus) :)

davehart

Member +
From what I know anyway.

The KYB Excel G gas shocks are only ever so slightly more uprated than standard OEM shocks.

Standard suspension is pretty terrible to be honest but on standard shocks drop it about 30mm and it should improve things a little.

Rory

Lifer
You will be needing a Panhard rod, if lowering your Glanza.
That is how, when you have 2 people in the back, it rips your tyre, as the standard one doesnt allow the suspension to work evenly, ie: it pulls the suspension to one side, therefor ripping your tyre off the arch.

ryu

Fresh Recruit
Thank you all guys for your replies.

Especially Rory for the exceptional information he provided.

It's a bit weird though, that despite running on stock suspension without any lowering (other than having the boot loaded), I get this problem.

But after studying more details on panhard rods, I believe whatever the case is (lowered or slight misplacement of fender), an adjustable panhard rod can solve my problem. Is that correct?

I came across several of them:
Zep (with Urethane Bushing) <- Cheapest
RS-R (with Urethane Bushing) <- $40 more
Zep (with Pillow Ball) <- $80 more than Zep with urethane bushing

I'm thinking of going for the cheapest solution, unless you advise otherwise :)

smythy75

Member +
Thank you all guys for your replies.

Especially Rory for the exceptional information he provided.

It's a bit weird though, that despite running on stock suspension without any lowering (other than having the boot loaded), I get this problem.

But after studying more details on panhard rods, I believe whatever the case is (lowered or slight misplacement of fender), an adjustable panhard rod can solve my problem. Is that correct?

I came across several of them:
Zep (with Urethane Bushing) <- Cheapest
RS-R (with Urethane Bushing) <- $40 more
Zep (with Pillow Ball) <- $80 more than Zep with urethane bushing

I'm thinking of going for the cheapest solution, unless you advise otherwise :)

roll ur arches an prob solved!