Standard Piston Melted What Can Be The Cause. see pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
hey guys i've just had a engine just gaskets al redone but pistons was good when built however i have had 3rd piston melt which threw up oil from the breather and also conrod one bearing melted on the crank basically its fubaard but my question is what cause this.

190920101026.jpg

170920101010.jpg

my spec was

Front mout intercooler
mesh on the ct9
running 0.9 bar
hks actuator
hks fcd- set at 8
thats pretty much it but i was only doing 70mph on way home not hard footed but light and it gave in and puffd white smoke running on 3 pistons when i stopd oil all over the place which i knew straight away bottom end but any help into the cause of this would help much appreciated all and thankyou, i will rep all accordingly to everyone that attempts

but my thinking could be fpr not installed and uprated fuel pump

Last edited:

Foggy

Member +
Did you have any fueling mods done and aftermarket mani? Also why were you runnjing a fcd when you were running below fuel cut? Chances are the fcd killed your engine.

hardcoreep

Member +
That's from running lean. The EGTs were probably very high. If it was detonation the ring lands would have been broken or there would be pot marks on the top of the piston. I have to agree with the comment above. There was no reason for a FCD if you were running below the Fuel Cut. All that did was lean out the mixture which the stock ECU would have simply compensated for.

Rev

Member +
Probably just whats been said but I am curious were you low on fuel at the time as I notice my car leans before the fuel light comes on.

TheStarletGT

Member +
Sudden, partial or full blocked injector.The issue is that your running low boost and it melted the piston big time.

1: Did you recently buy the car, if so, this was a disaster waiting to happen. The piston may have already been partially melted, all it took was your sudden boost job to cark the piston.

TheStarletGT

Member +
conrod one bearing melted on the crank basically

thats pretty much it but i was only doing 70mph on way home not hard footed but light and it gave in and puffd white smoke running on 3 pistons when i stopd oil all over the place which i knew straight away bottom end but any help into the cause of this would help much appreciated all and thankyou, i will rep all accordingly to everyone that attempts
From my understanding, your engine was a waiting time bomb. Bearings melt and crap, major melt piston. This was an issue building up over time. It could only last one more thrashing before it gave way.

Look, i once did a drag run, and boosted to 17 psi with a 4g63 and kept it there whilst the engine was pinging like hell. The piston melt straight away after like 7 seconds of nonstop pinging with high boost and lean fuel mixtures, very lean fuel mixtures.

In your case, your engine plus piston was slowely deteriorating.

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
i actually bought the car which was off road since 2006 so i restored it but however i didnt know how much thrashing the engine has taken which was my mistake but hey we all learn from msitakes... we'll i do lol i'm getting some forged rods and pistons am following the forge route now :)

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
Probably just whats been said but I am curious were you low on fuel at the time as I notice my car leans before the fuel light comes on.

i've never let it go below half a tank :) my mate did that to my ex glanza n it smashed its rods out from front and back :( but i build a gt engine full reconditioned and gave him that, i've been waiting patiently to go forged some time but my time has come now lol

Foggy

Member +
If you fit a fcd or mess with the fuel setting get a rolling road to check the air-fuel ratio.

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
i'm actually buying an afr kit will that be ok this way im monitoring what i have ? also i have a tomei fpr type s will that do for the works and a walbro fuel pump

churcherj

Member +
just because your going to forge it doesnt mean this may not happen again, all forging does just allows you to put more boost through it etc, you will still need the fueling checked afr's and detonation etc, otherwise u will blow a forged engine just the same as a stock one! if you had the stock manifold on there it doesnt suprise me that u melted a piston boosting at 0.9 bar, its seriously resrictive...

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
nope its aftermarket manifold :p when i got the car it didnt even have a stock one it was recovered to myn, but yeh i know its why im getting the afr kit to check detonation its not going to happen again no way :) but just a question will a tomei fpr work with the setup ?

churcherj

Member +
what manifold u using mate? are u just gona use the stock ct9 on the forged block? if so theres really no point spending all that money, it will be wasted, a good standard rebuild will be more than enough for any ct9 setup

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
no i'll b going to a diff turbo mate ct9 will puff out lol and mostlikely has already puffd after engine shootin oil out so its probs fukd now

churcherj

Member +
ah right then forged would be worth it i suppose :) get it built well and look after it, should be pretty bullet proof :) is this car ur daily driver? if not save up and do it right first time and put a decent condition turbo on it

Status
Not open for further replies.