Starter Motor differences

glanzapower

Member +
hi there....jus wanted to know if the starter motors are different for an auto and a manual as i need one for my starlet glanza on a 1996
cheers

jam

Member +
hi there....jus wanted to know if the starter motors are different for an auto and a manual as i need one for my starlet glanza on a 1996
cheers

its direct swap mate they are the same am running an auto engine with manual conversion manual flywheel and clutch on auto starter its fine.

glanzapower

Member +
its direct swap mate they are the same am running an auto engine with manual conversion manual flywheel and clutch on auto starter its fine.

alright cheers fella, i need a bit more info so if you dont mind me Pm'ing you if thats okay
cheers

finx

Member +
incorrect. they are different.

the auto starter has one bolt from the front and one from the back as one of the captured threads for the auto starter bolts is in the bell housing, where as both threads for the retaining bolts on the manual are situated in the starter motor housing.

you would need to manually position the starter to mesh the pinion teeth in the correct position for the ring gear and use a non captured bolt and nut to be able to use the auto starter on a manual transition vehicle. i dont recommend it.

cheers
Ryan

Last edited:

glanzapower

Member +
incorrect. they are different.

the auto starter has one bolt from the front and one from the back as one of the captured threads for the auto starter bolts is in the bell housing, where as both threads for the retaining bolts on the manual are situated in the starter motor housing.

you would need to manually position the starter to mesh the pinion teeth in the correct position for the ring gear and use a non captured bolt and nut to be able to use the auto starter. i dont recommend it.

cheers
Ryan

thanx alot bud, i guess i should dig out an auto one then