Starting Problem

Daniel Schumacher

Fresh Recruit
I've noticed since getting my car back from bodywork and paint that the car seems to have problems starting.
When i turn the key it's cranking but the car doesn't seem to be able to catch.
It continues like this for anywhere from 3 - 7 tries depending on if i give it some gas and how long i keep it swinging.
When it finally does catch I find the rev is higher than it used to be (it's at 1200 when it catches now before it used to be steady at 900 rpm).
It gets worse, once it's caught, when i give it gas, the revs drop and when i release the throttle the revs go back up to 1200.
If i keep the gas pedal depressed and it does not cut out it sounds like a subaru from around 1000 to 2000 and above which and at idle it goes back to sounding normal.
I have to let it sit and warm up for a while before setting off too else it will do the same on the road even while in gear which makes moving off from a corner or roundabout awful.

I need some help guys, what should i check?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Look in the Electronics tutorial sub-forum and do the diagnostics check

Dan

Do a diagnostic mate and post results you say it sounds like a scoob is it starting on 3 cylinders the firing up the 4th a few seconds later ? might as daft as leads or dizzy cap or could just be your idle valve fuking about get the diagnostics done then we can narrow down ;)

Shorty

Member +
check spark plugs, ht leads, dizzy cap on right way or for moistere inside and check for knock sensor error. its defo got a missfire :)

monka

Member +
or if it started when you got took it from the bodyshop, its something that has happened there, take it back,

what now happens if you spend a week diagnosing it, turns out to be something terminal cracked piston or something like that, maybe caused by the bodyshop guys revving it etc. you have had it back a week, they arent going to admit to that are they. if you left it with them, its a different story

Daniel Schumacher

Fresh Recruit
Alrighty, I've found out what the problem was.
The person that put on the rad fan put on the old stock fan instead of the new slimline and it was pressed against the aluminum radiator.
This caused a hole in the radiator.

The headgasket was blown as a result.

The rad was repaired free of charge, gotta see what happens with the headgasket.

Here are a few vids of the symptoms of the blown headgasket:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EA79A8BB8B3B1300