Steel intake conversion

TheStarletGT

Member +
Would like to know what people think about a custom mild steel intake manifold setup. Would 2-3mm of steel be better than 7mm of thick aluminium. Why isnt it done, what, heat retention?

When you look at it, the heat only has 3mm of metal to hold as opposed to like 7mm of cast aluminium. I was thinking of making a 3- 3.5 inch size diameter plenum, provide some trumped bellmouths inside and just steel runners to a thick 10mm steel plate flange etc. 100% steel. Whats the difference when using a alum manifold. it gets mega hot anyway.

I will await neg and pro feed from members.

Rev

Member +
You have to consider the density as well as the thickness to get heat capacity and Aluminium transmits heat much faster than steel and cools faster too.
I think a manifold insulating gasket would be a good idea , so the aluminium doesn't get block heat conducted too fast.
Basically that leaves the management of engine compartment heat , heat wrapping, scoop air etc. . In oz heat is a big problem currently my intercooler pipes of mild steel go too hot to touch when the radiator fan comes on it shoots heat to where it joins the intake. A bigger intake manifold would be a bigger target for that heat.