steering wheel problem

ramshark

Member +
little bit of a problem i have 98 steering wheel on a 96 glanza only have had the car a few days and the steering wheel wasnt on right so i went to fit it and found a plug on the back of the steering wheel

question is where does it go ? is just for a 98 spec glanza or am i missing a connection for this ?
http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/ramshark/?action=view&current=Photo0026.jpg

http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/ramshark/?action=view&current=Photo0025.jpg

http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/ramshark/?action=view&current=Photo0024.jpg

Last edited:

gglavin

Member +
is there a connector to plug in to the yellow connection? is that not an irbag connector?? is that wheel off an ep82 or ep91?

Last edited:

ramshark

Member +
its a 98 spec wheel and i dont see a connecter that goes into it. going to take the dials and all out to see if there a cable that fits it i dont even think there a link for the horn either

WallaceGlanza

Member +
That plugs into the spiral cable:

attachment.php

I think those are only found on '98 glanza's or maybe only glanza's with a passenger airbag, I have one of the spiral cables but it wouldn't fit with the 96 wheel.

I've had two 96/97 steering wheels and neither had a connection for the spiral cable but there must be some that do as my steering column is different to yours, it has a slot like the picture above to fit the spiral cable.

Last edited:

ramshark

Member +
yea it looks totally diffrent and the mechanism for the horn dosnt connect up to anything aswell. its likes theres nothing there to match it. going to have buy a 96 sterring wheel think it needs a horn to pass mot ?

WallaceGlanza

Member +
yea it looks totally diffrent and the mechanism for the horn dosnt connect up to anything aswell. its likes theres nothing there to match it. going to have buy a 96 sterring wheel think it needs a horn to pass mot ?

You do need the horn to pass but you could put a button elsewhere - it doesnt actually need to be on the wheel.

The 96 wheel has a contact strip round the back of the wheel which is always touching the metal strip you can see on the left of the steering column - the alternative to this on the 98 is the spiral cable.

However if you're wanting an airbag you will need the 96 wheel, the wheels for cars with a passenger airbag have a different trigger mechanism which must be remote from the wheel (so that the other airbag goes off at the same time) in the 96 wheel or non passenger airbag wheel, the mechanism is within the wheel (hence why if you hit the wheel you can set the airbag off!).

I'm just figuring most of this out now but it confirms that my wheel must have been changed before I got the car (probably because the airbag went off) and then was changed for the wrong wheel (non passenger airbag one) which doesnt work properly with the horn.

ramshark

Member +
yea i think thats what it is. ill just get a 96 wheel would prefer to have the horn on the wheel makes things a wee bit easier :haha: thanks anyway dude

WallaceGlanza

Member +
yea i think thats what it is. ill just get a 96 wheel would prefer to have the horn on the wheel makes things a wee bit easier :haha: thanks anyway dude

Yeah, when I first got the car the horn was on a button down by my knee - was really annoying during moments of road rage!:haha:

ramshark

Member +
yeaaaa i would need it in a hurry for road rage now that you mention it i have a switch down near my right knee might be for the fog lights not sure havent had the car long and its not on the road yet so wouldnt know yet