stock actuator operation

dark_knight

Member +
now, just some food for thought. i have the stock actuator and it has two nipples on it, obviously one is the intake line and the other expels charge air. i'm just wondering how come on some after-market setups (like hks), the actuators only have one nipple, and i would presume this is plumbed into the charge (boost) line that comes off of the turbo housing on the compressed air side.

in operation, the flow of air would be
a) from the turbo housing (charged air side) TO
b) the actuator (which then extends the arm thus controlling the wastegate) TO
c) the intake - EFI pipe (in the case of the stock actuator)

anyone understand what i'm talking about..? so now, my question is, if i was to block off stage (c) in my setup which vents back into the intake pipe, would this affect my actuators' operation..? :confused: ideally it shouldn't. am i right..? this is because, correct me if i'm wrong, the actuator is controlled by pressure hitting it, so once exceeded, it will overwhelm the spring and open the wastegate..

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
the stock actuator has 2 ports due to the hi/lo setup as standard. it takes some pressure off the diaphragm by venting it through the hi/lo solenoid back into the intake. basically an electrically switchable bleed valve.

if you block it off you will be stuck in lo boost mode.

the hks actuator is just a generic actuator for more than 1 car. the kit does come with a T-piece, so you can link the hi/lo setup back up.

dark_knight

Member +
in my case of a p-sport glanza without the hi/lo boost solenoid, if what you are saying is true & i was to seal off the bleed line then i'd indeed be stuck in low boost or no boost at all since the actuator diaphragm would be getting pressurized way quicker since the air would not be venting anywhere as in the stock setup.. i decided to let it vent to the atmosphere on mine and bunged the intake pipe feed it was initially connected to. it all works sweet but my curiosity was still not satisfied..

dac69er

Super Moderator
that is correct. whether you vent to atmosphere or back into the inlet pipe doesnt really affect it. if you block it you will just get low boost as it only vents in hi mode