stock headgasket ideas

anybody ever thought about modifing the stock toyota headgasket to have more of the waterways open like an athena one or the likes? wonder would it work and not ruin the gasket? just a taught as im in the middle of doing mine now

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you not just fit an athena headgasket if your going for more power? And if its just for standard power standard gasket is fine

im not paying 130 for a gasket when i got a new toyota one for 45? waste of money when iv plans to go forged in the future! its just an idea i had with the stock gasket to help things

Rob H

Member +
It will leak if you do! It wont have the sealing areas to clamp down when you torque down the head. I run a N/A head and they dont even have the water ways in them, nor does the TRD head gasket im running.

Rob H

Member +
Try it then and see what happens! it will ether leak or not but its a waste of 45 quid if it does. But why ask if your so sure?

i would say it will leak also all the holes that are in it will be designed to clamp down due to where the holes are for the headbolts, im sure if it needed anymore then toyota woulda fitted it, sack doing a headgasket just to fuck it and have to re-do it all and spend another 45 quid mate

well if it will leak why doesnt it leak where toyota already have the holes for the waterways? cant see how it will leak tbh but im not 100% sure but its pretty much going to be the same as the athena gaskets like? why dont they leak?

dac69er

Super Moderator
chances are you will ruin the gasket and it will leak when fitted. how where you planning on cutting the extra coolant ways out?

Skalabala

Member +
starletburkie, I do not think it will leak.
You want to enlarge the water channel holes right?
If you carefully enlarge them so that the gasket still protrudes into the water port it will not leak.
You need to however use the correct tool(very sharp) to cut it as you stand a 90% chance to ruin the gasket if not cut correctly.

And if I were you I would go for non OEM/Performance branded head gasket.
You can use Victor Reinze if you have it there by you.

basicily i want to create holes for the waterways where toyota have them blocked off and athena dont