stripping engine

thorpy

Member +
any tips for stripping engines down?, ive had a quick search but not come up with much so far

im just wanting to know if its best to store engine internals in a tub of oil so they dont pick up any dirt etc whilst stored

as people may know im stripping my car and selling everything so im onto the engine now and want to make sure everything stays in a good condition to sell on, or would it be ok to wipe them down and leave them dry for the new owner?

any help appreciated thanks :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
why are you stripping the engine to sell it? surely you would sell the engine complete???

i would just wipe them with an oily rag and then just keep then away from dirt/crap and moisture

JohnOBrien8

Member +
as long as you dont wet them or drop them when you take them out pop them straight into a lunchbox or the likes and nothing will get at them!

thorpy

Member +
thanks for the tips :) im stripping it as ive had quite a few requests for bits of the engine, and as yet not had any interest in the complete engine

it has low compression on the 1st cylinder so suspected piston rings but cant be sure untill its stripped

i wanted to get it fixed but just got a flat and need to pay lots of money out for furniture etc :(

Rory

Lifer
If you take parts off, either as Dunc said above, or spray them with WD40 and keep them wrapped up

Texx

Super Moderator
Go and buy yourself a large roll of cling film from your local supermarket and wrap the parts up well with a few layers once you've removed them. If you clean them up before wrapping them, as suggested give them a coat of WD40 or similar to keep any moisture from settling in.