suspensions + a lil bit of FMIC

Jayd.m

Member +
sup dudes. my rear o/f coilover is goosed its all leaked out lol. got offered a set of shocks & spring something like mon or mckillen brand, its something like that.... €150 is that a good price 2nd hand? also is any1 running coilovers up front & a shock & spring set up on the rear, how is it?

also got offered a FMIC @ a good price, only thing is the seller is unsure of the make, sooo what the best size core to look for? ive read alot of ppl say autobahn are better than the likes of HDI/ JPREFORMANCE due of over kill ect.

thanks.!

MeisterR

Lifer
Coilovers on the front and unknown make springs and dampers in the rear probably isn't the best idea.

Not only is the springs rate all mess up, the damping rate probably don't match front to rear.
Therefore, no one can guess how the car will behave.

If you are trying to get by, then I guess it is okay.
But dampers are wear and tear item, and therefore you will have no clue when they will fail if they are second hand; you can only be sure that they will fail one day in the future.
They won't be under a warranty... and so it can be like throwing money out the window unless you are sure of the damper's ages and history.

Not to mention if your dampers rear have fail, it mean it probably won't be long until the front dampers suffer the same fate.

Jayd.m

Member +
id love to splash out on a set of meister R's just havent got the catch. i have just bought A FPR, a clutch kit, and in the next 2weeks i need an RSM fited, a non aircon belt, any prob 1 or 2 other little things will crop up when im doing this, then its off 2 be set 4 fueling so all that is guna be my budget for the next 2/3months at least.

MeisterR

Lifer
id love to splash out on a set of meister R's just havent got the catch. i have just bought A FPR, a clutch kit, and in the next 2weeks i need an RSM fited, a non aircon belt, any prob 1 or 2 other little things will crop up when im doing this, then its off 2 be set 4 fueling so all that is guna be my budget for the next 2/3months at least.

Yes, I do understand that it is difficult especially when there are so much to be done.
The way I see it is set your budget and know what you are looking for... then just get what you want from Day 1.
What you need to do is to "spend" the money effectively, not just buy whatever that was available and you can afford at the time.

If you buy something "cheaper" because you can only afford it at the time... you will have to spend more money to buy what you really wanted in a later date and that actually cost more money in the long run.

As far as the suspension goes... Like I said, to get by is alright.
But it isn't something I would like to see on my car.

To spend €150 on a set of used dampers that will miss match your front suspension setup just feels like throwing money into the fire... :(