swapping driveshafts

andy.i

Member +
managed to get a driveshaft yesterday, thanks to CAT and mark for helping :)

anyway, i need to swap it over, do i need to take the whole shaft and green thingy? out, or can i just pop the boot of the green thingy and put the new one it? dont wanna go draining gear box oil n that for no reason!

heres a pic, ovb just need to change the shaft with the 3 bearings on it

ta!

DSCF0302.jpg

dac69er

Super Moderator
i assume the 4 needle roller bearings are worn on your old shaft? if so clean the grease out of the cup (green thing) and check for any where from where the bearings run. if moisture/dirt or dry bearings are the problem then it could have worn where they run.
if its fine then no need to change that part. if it looks like here is wear in there then change it for the other cup part.
if you jack the car up high as you can one side you should loose less gearbox oil.

will you be using the original outer cv joint or the one that came with the new shaft? just make sure they are compatible. the inner jont is easy enough to swap over, the shaft itself is unlikely to be damaged.

andy.i

Member +
thanks mate.

what happened was the splines on the outer cv end were nackered, no idea how but were well fucked. so bought a new shaft from CAT.

so if i take the inner boot off the green cup, the drive shaft should just tap out and the cup will stay in the gearbox?

dac69er

Super Moderator
wont need to tap it out mate. once the boot is off it will pull out easily.

if you get the new shaft all ready just to put straight in then it shouldnt take very long at all.
if your not removing the hub then its probably easier with 2 of you as the hub will probably be a pain and keep getting in the way!

andy.i

Member +
legend mate, perfect way to cure a hangover so im away to do it now!

yeah hub and that are all off already, will let you know how i get on!

as said mate, slide it out the inner side near the box, I couldn't believe it isn't sucured when I pulled one side out like!

Should have asked when you was here bud, could have shown you on the numerous bits I have lying about! Although the heavies might have gotten bored :D

Oh and feel free to add to my sales feedback thread :D