Syncro question

Big_Daddy

Member +
Need to know what happens when a gear syncro when it totaly fails? mines grinding in 3rd and now some times it dosnt go in properly or pops out on odd occasions :confused:

dac69er

Super Moderator
will be more than just the synchro if it pops out. how are your engine mounts?

you can drive a car with all the synchros completely gone, will just grind when you gearchange!

Big_Daddy

Member +
engine mounts seem fine? its just the 3rd gear... only does when i reving high past 3k and popin into 3rd... makes nasty grinin sound before it wasnt bad.
What other reason why it would cause it pop out of 3rd gear?

Texx

Super Moderator
The grinding will be the teeth of the splines of 3rd gear and the hub sleeve crashing together, most likely due to the fact 3rd gears synchro ring has worn down and no longer bringing 3rd gear up to speed before the teeth of the splines are engaged.

Jumping out of gear is likely a result of excessive wear of the spline teeth from them crashing together and so they no longer engage properly, although it could also be caused by a worn shift fork or worn selector mechanism.

You would ideally need to pull the box apart to identify the true cause, but I would expect the 3rd drive gear, synchro ring and hub sleeve will need replacing to rectify the problem. Considering the likely cost of the parts, picking up a good used transmission could be a better option than trying to repair what you've already got.

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
I have the same problem with my 3rd gear, any fast speeds going into it or dropping down gears it will crunch but i dnt push it that hard too much. Prob not gona bother gettin it fixed and just look out for a good lsd box and keep this one as a spare.

Big_Daddy

Member +
I have the same problem with my 3rd gear, any fast speeds going into it or dropping down gears it will crunch but i dnt push it that hard too much. Prob not gona bother gettin it fixed and just look out for a good lsd box and keep this one as a spare.

Yeh i just use to slam them in...lol...Take it easy now till i source a new box...:)