Tapping after head gasket change?

Glanza Gaz

Member +
I've just got my car back after having it's head gasket changed and it sounds like it's tapping quite loud, the tapping accelerates along with the revving of the engine also. Me and the garage mechanic had a listen under the bonnet with the stethoscope and it sounded like it was coming from what I think was the Idle control valve (little object, attached to the drivers side of the throttle body), although the car doesn't seem to have a jumpy idle at the moment (did periodically when hg was damaged but no tapping sound then) would this cause this? Another thought that my old man suggested was that it sounded like the tappets were out of adjustment (although I hear that the 4efte has 'shims and buckets' as opposed to conventional tappets).
*******POSSIBLE RED HERRING ALERT*******
A symptom I also seem to be getting is that my car is only boosting to 0.5 bar until 5,000rpm then it gets up to full boost 1bar, although this may be due to a problem I had earlier due to a boost pipe leak, which I temporarily repaired before the car going in for hg.

Any help or thoughts on this would be much appreciated and of course rep will be awarded to those with helpful answers.
cheers, Gaz

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like the mechanic didnt retension the cam gear when he put the inlet cam back in ;)

easy enough to do, just remove cam cover. remove that cam, tension the cam gear and stick a 6mm bolt in the hole and refit the cam. remove the bolt and your done. refit the cam cover and you can drive it

Last edited:

Glanza Gaz

Member +
thanx a lot guys I'll take a look at this tomorrow when I've got some time, Im slightly confused by the tightening/tensioning of the cam gear but I know I'll understand when I get an actual look at it. Oh n Dac69er I've tried repping you but it says I gotta spread the love some more first haha (must be because of me repping you the other day) but I will add you some when it lets me, damn thing!!