Tax question

PelvisGt

Member +
I have a question about getting tax.

At the moment I am buying a car that doesnt have tax on it.

I want to tax it and I am insured and it has MOT.

If i only have the small bit of the log book can I tax it or will I need the left hand side bit in my name?

Its very confusing I know but I just need some help

Thanks

ryan3496

Fresh Recruit
i tried to tax my car last year and had everything but the log book slip as i had just bought it a couple of weeks before.

i tried to do it over internet and phone with the old code from the log book of the previous owner but it wouldnt let me do it either way.

i had to just wait until the new log book came through in my name and get it taxed then.

try popping down to the post off ice and try do it there, they might also be able to advice you on what you could do if they cant do it there and then

hope that helps

Texx

Super Moderator
IIRC the green slip section (V5C/2) of the V5C becomes a temporary registration document to the new keeper for a period of 1 month (or something similar) after a vehicle has been sold. If you took ownership of the car less than a month ago, have the green slip section (V5C/2) of the V5C and a valid MOT and insurance certificate you should be able to walk into any relevant post office and tax it.

If you attempt to tax the car online without updating DVLA with the new registered keeper details, then the new tax disc will likely end up being sent out to the previous keeper.

PelvisGt

Member +
ok thats cool thanks everyone

I have the small slip and insurance and mot so can tax the car then :)