Temp rust fix

Looking at cleaning up the sill that has a hole in it, although I will get a new one welded in. But at the moment I would like to treat it as much as possible to stop it spreading anymore.

I did a quick search and found this:
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums...Rust-Removal-And-Parts-Cleaner&highlight=rust
although this is more prevention, which will be done once it's rewelded.

Anyone got any tips?

Think it's a case of sanding down to shiny metal then treat with something like hammerite kurust. Although anyone else got any tips or products to use as a temp solution to stop it spreading? Doesn't need to be massively tidy like.

ryan-11

Member +
the only way to stop it spreading is to cut it out, you'll b left with a big hole tho, if u dont mind the hole being there untill u get a new sill welded in just touch up the bare metal with some paint, remember it will prob fail an mot with a hole in the sill tho

Rob H

Member +
if your going to treat it with rust cure dont rub it down till its shiny just give it a rub with a wire brush the rust cure will only work on rust and will not dry on the shiny steel the better way to do it would be to sand blast it as the only prob with rust cure is its not very good for welding to but if ya dont have a sand blaster rust cure will do the job fine

Rob H

Member +
you dont have to cut it out to stop it spreading sandblasting will do that but to make a nice neat patch up job cutting it out is by far the best way to do it as you can V out around the patch weld it in then grind it all off flush and the patch will disappear once painted!

ryan-11

Member +
you dont have to cut it out to stop it spreading sandblasting will do that but to make a nice neat patch up job cutting it out is by far the best way to do it as you can V out around the patch weld it in then grind it all off flush and the patch will disappear once painted!

It always comes back, even with sandblasting, it just takes longer to come back if sandblasted.

Rob H

Member +
maybe so but its 18 years since we did my 1965 land rover and it aint come back yet! and we have had that up to the roof in water!

So cutting out is the best thing to do? What about the hole thats there, don't need to weld it but should I treat it with anything while it's waiting to get welded up?

SCOTTIX

Fresh Recruit
dont cut a hole and just leave it worst thing u can do is let rust get in from behind ( if u do cut it try nd spray sum wax oil in the hole as much as possible as far as it can reach and seal it [weld it] but cutting and grinding rust out is your only option to prevent it

glanzanut

Lifer

im sorry but i completely disagree with that bud, rust has to be cut out and the metal replaced.
when you sand blast it only pitts the metal more, which in turn holds moisture inside the pitts.
i cant comment on your land rover, but every sprayer and body worker on the planet will tell you the same :)

Rev

Member +
The objective is to exclude oxygen, edges fail first as the coating is thinnest here. ( pits have edges )
I find smoothest is best with thin coat that say high quality zinc based spray undercoat that bonds well and dries hard before building up.