TF035 exhaust side fan blades

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Hey all,

Just getting all the bits together to do a TF035 tubby conversion.

I picked the TF035, got it home and noticed that a few of the fan blades on the exhaut side had like marks on them. On closer inspection it looks like something has been in there and bent the very end tip of one of the blades......Its only very tiny but has caused the blade to touch and scratch the side.

The shaft has no play in or out and has very little play left to right.

When I spin the blades by hand they spin freely without any restrictions

Do you think this would still be ok to use or is it buggered?
Ive tried to get a picture of the blades

cheers

dark_knight

Member +
Depending on the extent of injury, it may cause some imbalance at high RPM but I'd just go ahead and run it if I were you.. :)

Rev

Member +
Some damage doesn't look too bad but the chip damage on the blade that has abite out of it creates 3 smaller triangular tip areas on the blades leading edge. The inner triangle is smaller than the standard triangle of the wheel tip which means it may create a hotter spot on the blade although small it is worth noting.

The other thing catching the eye is the blade tip that is bent down probably would be generating some drag as the bent tip on air craft have the tip facing away from the lift in this case the tip is pointing down into the air flow not away from it.

It is hard to estimate the air flow and heat effect this may have as I understand this turbo is limited by the exhaust opening size which may occur before blade resistance becomes an issue?

My rough assumption for the above is -
Engine power on a 4e is linked to boost the boost is limited by the exhaust opening.
The exhaust opening is similar to a ct9b but the TF035 is flowing more air for similar say power at 1.1bar so the wheel velocity can be less to produce the same air this is why I said above the blade velocity may not be as critical from a power point of view.
However the blade temperature effect at max boost probably needs to be tested on the car.

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Some damage doesn't look too bad but the chip damage on the blade that has abite out of it creates 3 smaller triangular tip areas on the blades leading edge. The inner triangle is smaller than the standard triangle of the wheel tip which means it may create a hotter spot on the blade although small it is worth noting.

The other thing catching the eye is the blade tip that is bent down probably would be generating some drag as the bent tip on air craft have the tip facing away from the lift in this case the tip is pointing down into the air flow not away from it.

It is hard to estimate the air flow and heat effect this may have as I understand this turbo is limited by the exhaust opening size which may occur before blade resistance becomes an issue?

My rough assumption for the above is -
Engine power on a 4e is linked to boost the boost is limited by the exhaust opening.
The exhaust opening is similar to a ct9b but the TF035 is flowing more air for similar say power at 1.1bar so the wheel velocity can be less to produce the same air this is why I said above the blade velocity may not be as critical from a power point of view.
However the blade temperature effect at max boost probably needs to be tested on the car.

Ha ha ha, so that a 'try it' Rev?

I will start the change today then.

One thing - to test am I able to try it on the stock ECU say at around 11psi? I dont want to start messing with my ECU/Piggy back ECU only to find that the turbo is FUBAR, then have to remove everything before work 2moz?

cheers all :)

Rev

Member +
I am sure you can make it happen Marco but not keen on predicting your fueling with that fancy manifold you have. :) bigger injectors?

Last edited:

5e colin

Member +
Ha ha ha, so that a 'try it' Rev?

I will start the change today then.

One thing - to test am I able to try it on the stock ECU say at around 11psi? I dont want to start messing with my ECU/Piggy back ECU only to find that the turbo is FUBAR, then have to remove everything before work 2moz?

cheers all :)

i would stick to 7 psi marco our gt ecu feuls crap you run tdo4 on stock ecu at a max of 7 psi it seems the V boys seem to go higher on a stock ecu tdo4 / injector setup