The Ongoing Kenwood Headunit Protect Mode Saga Continues :(

ady_glanza

Member +
Hello all

I know i've talked about ths before in a previous thread but the problem seems to be going on and on with no solution.

My Kenwood head unit is going into protection mode after 20 minutes and its been tested by another ICE retailer on the workbench the same is happening to them. I've taken it back to where i got it from and they are sending it back to Kenwood to get it repaired again.

However the ICE retailer that tested it is blaming my car for the problem in a way. The reason for this being that 3 weeks ago i had my clutch changed. Due to the clutch taking around 4 hours to change the battery was disconnected. Once the clutch was installed they stuck a charger to the battery.

Now there is where the car gets the blame. The ICE retailer is stating that my battery may be over boosted and running at something like 30 volts instead of the 14.4 volts. The head unit can only handle 12v to 16v. This is why it is going into protect mode as it has somehow damaged the power output and is resulting in the protect mode situation. He has told me that my car won't be able to handle any head unit as Kenwood ones would go into protect mode and any other brand could blow up due to the over boosting of the battery. However i need to have the battery checked. to see what voltage it is running at. Surely if the battery was over boosted then it could possibly blow or have an effect on other items in the car such as the lights, wipers etc but they all seem fine. All the wiring is fine by the way as its been checked.

Any info much appreciated as this problem has been ongoing for quite a few months and want to get to the bottom of it and find a solution once and for.

Many thanks

Rob H

Member +
sounds to me like he is talking sh@t if your battery was putting 30v out it would fry the ECU and every thing when you start the car does the starter motor spin twice as fast lol you would not need the engine to start just run it like an electric car!lol! I have jump started cars off 24v boosters we use for trucks and busses at work and never had that problem but the starter goes like fook! yours would be doing that all the time! I would say iffy radio if its under warranty demand a new one its in your rights if its a on going problem with the one you have!

ady_glanza

Member +
sounds to me like he is talking sh@t if your battery was putting 30v out it would fry the ECU and every thing when you start the car does the starter motor spin twice as fast lol you would not need the engine to start just run it like an electric car!lol! I have jump started cars off 24v boosters we use for trucks and busses at work and never had that problem but the starter goes like fook! yours would be doing that all the time! I would say iffy radio if its under warranty demand a new one its in your rights if its a on going problem with the one you have!

hi mate
thanks for the quick reply and the good points
hi mate the starter motor spins as normal.
Also if the battery was over charged by so much then it would also blow fuses and i've never had a blown fuse.
I've taken it back again to the retailer and they are sending it back to get repaired.
I've asked them for a replacement head unit but they say thay can't do that and they can only send mine back for repair which takes a couple of weeks to get back so no music till then.

steo800

Member +
30v ha, brilliant.

funny guys!

its probably the radio, if they've taken it back for repair it should be sorted, but it sounds like the radio, ive seen kenwoods do it a few times before