Thermal Insulartion - Help needed

AdamB

Member +
Hi folks,

I'm after some heating/thermal insulation, although it won't be going in my house. Its actually for a vivarium for my reptile Chameleon. I have no idea about anything to do with insulation, although a quick google reveals some expensive stuff which I'm not prepared to pay.

I would need around 5 meters worth, not prepared to pay the earth for some. The vivarium does get damp where its misted for the chameleon to drink, although the insulation will be placed behind some polystyrene. It is a glass surrounding so something which is ideal to be placed on that. I'm trying to maintain a temperature of 90 F/ 32 C, I found some like insulation foil from Wickes but don't know how good this stuff would be for what I need?

Thanks

Adam

Rev

Member +
In oz minium house ceiling insulation is 50mm thick mineral wool with a reflective aluminium layer. I think anything like this would get moist and mouldy.
All I can think of is look at the insulation values of cork. It may work in combination with polystyrene sheet.
Heres a link , they even have 2" thick.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetails.shtml

Gryzor

Admin
Take a trip down to B&Q and see what they have.
I'd guess a polystyrene 2" sheet it's very cheap and you can cut it easily with hot wire..
[video=youtube;SCbEeW_n7OU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCbEeW_n7OU[/video]

Rev

Member +
Im just wondering what psychological damage the chameleon will suffer trying to blend with a white interior all day?

AdamB

Member +
Ah thanks for that guys. I went down to my pet shop and they recommended some polystyrene, but to place it on the outside of the glass tank. I checked out B&Q and I'm able to get some polystyrene insulation for about £4 so will be popping down there later to have a look. Looks like I'll have to get making a hot wire as well :)

@Rev, He's got plenty of things to be doing inside and has a desert background which is polystyrene also. I have also placed fish tank vinyl on the sides which looks like a waterfall and he keeps trying to climb it lol.