Thermal intake gasket?

Have my inlet off was thinking of getting one saying its off. Been looking at a lot of opinions anybody use one and have or know of any proven results like drop in temperatures etc. Dont want to buy one if it does feck all as there are pricey for what they are.

Any proof? I looked into it more they seem to do feck all. A few people saying there is no way the heat from the intake manifold could affect the temperature of the air going into the head at WOT because of the speed the air is travelling and air has almost the worst thermal conduction value for heat transfer.

I donno tbh I cant find anything on temperature drops just hear say no need for it on a road car if there is a drop in temps its minuscule from what I see but a race car every little helps I suppose.

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
IMO it's waste of money, more likely to induce an air leak than anything else. Even if it did help to reduce inlet air temperature, I'd highly doubt you'd notice any difference from the drivers seat.

Rev

Member +
If you get 3 % air temp drop the actual heat going to the intake connection should be much more ( considering temperature layering and air velocity inside the intake )

Could this be a bad for detonataion when after repeated high boosting or long idle, the aluminium intake may actually be conductiong heat away from the head?
Any thoughts...

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
A rule of thumb is for every 7 deg drop in temp, an increase of 1% in peak power output.
You will also have to take into account that compressing air increases temperature.

Isn't the stock intake a cast item?

96v

Member +
Would it being a a cast item make a difference?

What about the thermal gasket with an aftermarket intake?

Texx

Super Moderator
A rule of thumb is for every 7 deg drop in temp, an increase of 1% in peak power output.

The weight saving from having a large shit before driving the car would probably have a more noticeable effect on performance.

AdamB

Member +
Would it being a a cast item make a difference?

What about the thermal gasket with an aftermarket intake?

I'm not sure tbh mate, I thought cast would take a longer time to conduct the heat, but if you have good airflow through the front grill and the bonnet scoop it would help.
For that reason it would be better to direct air flow towards the intake manifold to cool it if you were really trying to gain every last hp, it would certainly be cheaper than spending £50 on a gasket!

Texx your probably right mate, you would certainly notice more of a difference losing 5kg from the car than 1.3hp on a stock setup.

does the 4efte have a coolant feed to the back of the intake manifold/throttle body like the 3sgte?

I'm sure it does, if so disconnect that and link together so your not having 85' coolant flowing around the throttle body. We do this on the 3sgte and it makes an instant difference to the temperature that the cast intake and TB get to. just warm to the touch now over being very hot just because of the coolant flowing around it

Tim :)

Rev

Member +
instant difference to the temperature that the cast intake and TB get to. just warm to the touch now over being very hot just because of the coolant flowing around it

That will do the trick nicely if you have cool temps and 1 bar boost.
In a hot country however the break even point at say 1.3 bar will be around 33 deg C + Intake temp because this results in throttle body air temp of 90degC ( at 60% intercooler efficiency) . So having water in the throttle body would sometimes be slightly cooling the throttle body air under full boost.

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
does the 4efte have a coolant feed to the back of the intake manifold/throttle body like the 3sgte?

I'm sure it does, if so disconnect that and link together so your not having 85' coolant flowing around the throttle body.

It does, but the hot coolant feed closes the wax stat in the bottom of the throttle body, if the coolant feed was removed there would be a constant air bleed past the throttle body resulting in a high idle. You could seal off the air orifice to the wax stat using some Arladite or something similar, but then it may cause some cold start idling issues and the idle control valve would no longer be able to do it's job.

Rev

Member +
Not sure about the Starlet but I have read that disconnecting the throttle body hot water generally -
' There is also a safety aspect to it in a cold climate environment where water can find itself on the throttle plate and freeze/bond and get stuck full throttle/no throttle.'

AdamB

Member +
It does, but the hot coolant feed closes the wax stat in the bottom of the throttle body, if the coolant feed was removed there would be a constant air bleed past the throttle body resulting in a high idle. You could seal off the air orifice to the wax stat using some Arladite or something similar, but then it may cause some cold start idling issues.

Whats the use of the wax stat mate? As some people change over to an aftermarket throttle body which i'm assuming doesn't have this.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Whats the use of the wax stat mate? As some people change over to an aftermarket throttle body which i'm assuming doesn't have this.

its idle control based on coolant temp. the stat controls the amount of air the idle control valve passes as it pulses

dark_knight

Member +
i've bypassed my throttle body coolant lines and once you adjust the idle adjustment screw, i've never had a problem since. i think it's just how you do it, and if you do it right, you shouldn't have an issue.. unless you live in iceland.. :)

dark_knight

Member +
but just to answer the original thread, i also think the thermal barrier is one of those very expensive yet unnecessary mods.. :D

see the 3sgte doesn't have this it just passes coolant around the throttle body for when the car is used in extremely cold conditions. is there any pictures of this wax valve on the 4efte?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i've bypassed my throttle body coolant lines and once you adjust the idle adjustment screw, i've never had a problem since. i think it's just how you do it, and if you do it right, you shouldn't have an issue.. unless you live in iceland.. :)

in kenya i cant imagine you would need to worry about cold stating ;)

in the uk the weather is all over the place. but on the whole, it is cold and wet.