thermostat

morpheus

Member +
degrees

does any one know the temperature a stock thermostat opns.[is it 82 degrees].
does the 4efe engines [starlets]uses the same one?

supernova

Member +
A faulty thermostat will usually stick open or closed causing irregular water temps. if the engine is warmed up and the water temp needle isn't around half way, that's usually a good sign. Yeh the stock one opens at 82 C i'm pretty sure. Not sure about the 4E-FE using the same as 4E-FTE though, they should be.

morpheus

Member +
sometimes in the early morning and at night the needle remain on low and then all of a sudden it indicates ok.

thefalls

Member +
I have noticed that when going downhill or on a straight road on a cool night or day the temp needle goes down....or when i have the heater working then the engine takes more time to warm up...
My theory is that my thermostat is stuck open....thats why its not overheating....but a fren of mine said that i have no thermo...lolz!
when i get sometime this week then will have to check for myself...
Watch this space....

morpheus

Member +
ok mate .met a friend today he got a glanza also and he told he had the same problem.and he found out that there was no thermostat.

morpheus

Member +
i noticed today that when i was on the motorway drvin normally the temp remains down and when i was drivin slowly in small roads the needle goes up [normal]

steo800

Member +
to check if the thermostat is gone or not, take it out and boil a kettle.

put stat in jar or whatever and poor the water in.

leave for a few minutes, if it doesnt open, poor water out and refill with more boiled water.
it it doesnt open then its shagged.

a thermostat stuck closed=overheating
a thermostat stuck open=takes ages to warm up

Last edited:

morpheus

Member +
ooookkkk.i think that the thermostat is stucked open.do u think its because of thisw that my heater dun work.[it blows cold air']

steo800

Member +
ooookkkk.i think that the thermostat is stucked open.do u think its because of thisw that my heater dun work.[it blows cold air']

does your heater needle on the dash ever get to halfway?
if so, you should be getting some sort of heat through the heaters.

if not, maybe drain the whole system and make sure there is no blockages.do this by pulling of different pipes and putting the garden hose up to them to see if water comes out other pipes.check each pipe

a stuck open thermostat will only make the engine take ages to warm up, but you should still get heat through your heaters, if only a little even

thefalls

Member +
Seems to be quite a discussion here.According to my theory,my thermo is stuck open but then i dont have any probs with the engine warming up in the mornings before going to work.My needle always goes upto halfway but it only goes down when im driving on the motorway.On those small roads where the radiator doesnt get the cold wind=cooling,then it goes up again.Yeah the heater does take sometime to work!So will only be able to prove my point after i take out the thermo.....this weekend hopefully......

morpheus

Member +
Seems to be quite a discussion here.According to my theory,my thermo is stuck open but then i dont have any probs with the engine warming up in the mornings before going to work.My needle always goes upto halfway but it only goes down when im driving on the motorway.On those small roads where the radiator doesnt get the cold wind=cooling,then it goes up again.Yeah the heater does take sometime to work!So will only be able to prove my point after i take out the thermo.....this weekend hopefully......

exactly the same problem.its stucked open or some silly bastars removed it coz i had this problem since i had the glanza.someone told me thaT IT WAS NORMAL.
anyway as soon as i get time i change this fckin thermo.

thefalls

Member +
let me know what happening mate.[u know where to get the thermo from? if not pm me.ok:)
I hear any toyota thermo will do..as long as it fits in....gotta confirm that info though.....dont quote me on that....
Anyone out there knows if there is a specific thermo for the GT or Glanza?
PS:i doubt there is a specific one.....no harm in asking.
thanks.