timing not stable on timing light

dan-gt

Member +
I had a issue with timing on dizzy so brought a timing light put car in diagnostic mode and fine tuned dizzy. car was perfect. but noticed a slight stutter when setting off in first tonight. I have just dropped the timing light on it again and there is fluctuations in the marks lining up swaying from advance to retard slightly. Any ideas as to possible causes

dan-gt

Member +
3-4 mm just thought it strange as when I set it yesterday it was bang on no movement what so ever

dac69er

Super Moderator
hmm, that sounds a bit much. i have never had one that is 100% dead on tbh, guess the quality of the timing light can affect that.

could be a dizi problem. the pickup for the crank angle could be getting dodgy, or there is a bit of crap on the toothed wheel?

dan-gt

Member +
When you say toothed wheel what are you refering to mate as not 100 percent where the pick up is for the starlets

are you bridging out TE1 and E1 on the diagnostics board, this will lock the timing and allow you to set it with a timing gun. if not the ecu is playing and adding, advance which is where the fluctuations are coming from.

you need to bridge the terminals to set the timing properly

Tim :)