TMIC - Advice

JAY_D

Member +
Looking to upgrade my standard TMIC for an RX7 TMIC or ARC TMIC.
Car is standard & running normal boost.

Will an rx7 1 do or should i spend extra on an arc tmic?

How much better would the cooling be on these 2 compared to the standard tmic & will there be any gains? Cons?

Or am i wasting time & money?

Any info appreciated & rep will be added for positive input.

J

Mark-ep91

Member +
i wouldnt bother with a top mount as it still get alot of heat soak being on top of the engine, go the extra few bob for a second hand fmic way better job being at the front of the car gettin all the cold air!

Nickzorz

Member +
If your going to stick to top mount then save yourself the cash and get the rx7 one. Someone on here did an extremely informative bit of research on the arc one and the results were intruiging.

Someone must have a link to it.

For the price of the arc you will get a half decent front mount that will give you far better results.

dac69er

Super Moderator
it really depends what you want from the car. most front mount kits have a core that is too big if your staying ct9.

the tmic isnt all that bad

ianmcintoshi

Member +
The stock top mount is crap mate, an rx7 one would be a good improvement. Wouldnt bother with an arc one unless you can get one at a particularly good price. Tbh i would recommend just getting a fmic but if your defo staying top mounted then go for an rx7 one.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i wouldnt go so far in saying the stock topmount is crap. i dont think its too bad at all tbh

ianmcintoshi

Member +
i wouldnt go so far in saying the stock topmount is crap. i dont think its too bad at all tbh

There is a thread on here (searched but couldnt find it) that shows just how bad they are. there not great on a stock motor and when u start improving performance it has to be one of the first things to change imo.

JAY_D

Member +
Appreciate the input lads, how bad is heat soak? As in on performance & engine life?
Do fmic's suffer from pressure drop?

AdamB

Member +
Heat soak is fine if you plan on staying at standard boost. As soon as the boost is raised, it gets worse and worse.
The front mounts will suffer a little and will create slightly more lag, but it depends on the core size. If you only run standard boost and put a massive great Evo 8 intercooler on it will be terrible for lag. Put a smaller core on and it won't be as bad, but well worth the gains.

JAY_D

Member +
Heat soak is fine if you plan on staying at standard boost. As soon as the boost is raised, it gets worse and worse.
The front mounts will suffer a little and will create slightly more lag, but it depends on the core size. If you only run standard boost and put a massive great Evo 8 intercooler on it will be terrible for lag. Put a smaller core on and it won't be as bad, but well worth the gains.

Ye will be staying standard boost.
Will this fit? Looks like there is a bracket piece missing?
http://cars.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=6167892&ad=2104400

Member +
i used both an rx7 and the arc tmic's running 1.2bar on td04, they are not as bad a people make out. yes they suffer heat soak when you are sitting stationary for prolonged periods of time but as long as you are travelling over 30mph to keep some airflow through them, you will be fine. a lot of the jap tuners used them, didn't they?
half the wee fellas on here say tmic because they wanna look like sonething out of the latest fast and furious film.
imo, go for the rx7 as there is v.minimal performance difference to the arc.