Track Day/Racing gear.

Pete EP82

Member +
Ok guys, just wondering what helmet to go for. its going to be used for track days and maybe a bit of racing in the future. Also would a motorbike helmet do the trick??....or is that a no?? Thanks guys :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
motorbike helmet is fine mate.

i think the proper car racing helmets are a slightly different design or something but are essentially the same but with a higher price tag.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
If your going to do proper racing though you'll need to have a proper helmet with the right safety specs.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Hmm I can see a car one taking more. Realistically a bike one is more for maybe one impact, then scraping on the group. In a car crash your head has much more to hit, especially in a roll.

Streetech

Member +
Hmm I can see a car one taking more. Realistically a bike one is more for maybe one impact, then scraping on the group. In a car crash your head has much more to hit, especially in a roll.

Snell helmets have nomex lining for when your burning in the car and they are also tested to with stand hitting the roll bar alot.

There is a mimimum size for the eye hole in a motorcycle helmet but snell helmets are allowed smaller.

Pete EP82

Member +
Snell helmets have nomex lining for when your burning in the car and they are also tested to with stand hitting the roll bar alot.

There is a mimimum size for the eye hole in a motorcycle helmet but snell helmets are allowed smaller.

Yea but if you wear a fire resistand face/head shield under the helmet would that do the trick? :)

Gord R

Member +
If your going to do any racing you really need a helmet thats Snell SA2005 Spec. The MSA has now outlawed Blue Sticker BS helmets so watch out for those on ebay, im having to get a new one for 2010 because of this.

Someone mentioned SA2000, that will only be legal for a minimum of 1 to 2 years as SA2010 is coming into play end of next season.

Check out V2Sport.com and Hedtec.co.uk. Affordable SA2005 helmets which will do you for motorsport and trackdays.

Bare in mind also, that at present yes Motorbike helmets are allowed on trackdays, but there is talk of bringing them into line with the MSA and having ot have proper standards.

My advice is get a decent one now which will last you.

Pete EP82

Member +
If your going to do any racing you really need a helmet thats Snell SA2005 Spec. The MSA has now outlawed Blue Sticker BS helmets so watch out for those on ebay, im having to get a new one for 2010 because of this.

Someone mentioned SA2000, that will only be legal for a minimum of 1 to 2 years as SA2010 is coming into play end of next season.

Check out V2Sport.com and Hedtec.co.uk. Affordable SA2005 helmets which will do you for motorsport and trackdays.

Bare in mind also, that at present yes Motorbike helmets are allowed on trackdays, but there is talk of bringing them into line with the MSA and having ot have proper standards.

My advice is get a decent one now which will last you.

Thanks man! :)

Gord R

Member +
No Worries. Those V2 Sport and Hedtec ones are worth considering. Im going to have a nosey at the autosport show see how good the quality is.

Pete EP82

Member +
Yea, they seem like they will do the job at a reasonanle price too! Im considering them alrite! Do you reckon these are decent helmets, or are you going to wait untill you see them before you say?

Last edited:

Gord R

Member +
I have heard good reports from some people, but reserving judgement till I have seen them! Ill keep you up to date Autosport is only a couple of weeks away. :)

Streetech

Member +
No Worries. Those V2 Sport and Hedtec ones are worth considering. Im going to have a nosey at the autosport show see how good the quality is.

Who actually makes the helmets? I cant see either brand on the Snell approved list http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_SA2005.html#S

Before you buy one check they have the correct sticker and not just the fake one shown on the back of the V2 helmet.

Should look similar to this if people havent seen one.
snell-sticker.jpg