track rods!

BFannon

Member +
need a really quick reply have car in bits on the garden and i have the track rod taken off the hub and if i push and pull the rod it has play in it? is that suposed to happen? if not how can i fix it does it have a thread on the other end, is it a case of just tightening it up? or does it require more work?

also if i tighten the track rod up in theorey the track rid arm will be shorted so does that mean that the tracking is miles out? i am getting the tracking done tomorrow?

thanks

Bill.

SupaStu

Member +
Put the tracking back to what it was at, wind back to the last rusty point/thread on the arm, then leave it to the experts tomorrow to change/set the tracking as required.

BFannon

Member +
ok thing is i need the car for tuesday so was just wondering if i needed any parts then i would have got them off of a glanza i got in the garage.

i have just put it all back together now so just gonna try going for a spin as i have just swapped the lower ball joint and the bearing and the track rod ends so if the clonking persists what else can it be? the lower arm nuts and bits are all tight the hub nut is all tight so nothing is loose apart from the track rod, the ends are tight but the bit where it heads back to the steering rack that is the bit that has play?

thanks

Bill.

jpglanza

Fresh Recruit
sounds like the play is in the inner tie rod so. you could try swapping them over from the other glanza but they can be tricky enough to do, persoonally id get a new inner tie rod and sttering rack gaiter as theyre not that expensive anyway.

BFannon

Member +
ok had a chance to have a good drive in the GT today and i still have a knocking on the front right when i hit minor bumps/dips in road the tracking is "spot on" in the words of quick fit man.

the play seems to be in the track rod its self, so i want to try the tie inner tie rods as jpglanza said are they easy? is there a guide or would someone mind writing me a quick guide it if it isn't too difficult.

any help greatly appreciated

Bill.

if its the track rod end itself then replace the track rod end no?

did you see there was play in the drumstick? Simply remove gator disconnect it from the rack slacken then 19mm (iirc) nut at track rod end side then unscrew the drumstick out

BFannon

Member +
no sorry the play is in the whole rod iself like i undone the 17mm nut on the track rod end disconnected it from the hub altogether, the play was in the whole rod like only 0.5-1mm but enough to make the clonking! or thats what i think it is, the wheel has minute play in it from side to side only not any other way.

Bill.

jpglanza

Fresh Recruit
the only way to check if the play is in the track rod end or inner tie rod is to get the 2 front wheels free off the ground. leave the tyres on and catch the wheel with playin it at the 3 o clock and 9 o clock position. you will need a second person for this. when u are moving the wheel from side to side, get them to stick their hand on the inner tie rod and pull it towards the wheel, if the play goes out of the wheel, its the tie rod thats worn. or alternatively, get them to put their fist around the track rod end, right where it goes into the hub and when u shake the wheel from side to side (very gently but so u can feel the play), if they feel movement, its in the track rod end. in my opinion if there's only a small amount of play in the steering like 1mm, it shouldnt really be causing a knocking noise when driving,u should look at bottom ball joint, wishbone bushes etc