Turbo related. ep91

Hi guys.

Bit of help if you may please.

For a little while i have had a hissing sound similar to letting a car tyre down when coming on boost. i've tried to locate this by looking around the turbo, intercooler, intake etc and cannot find anything.

As i'm technically retarded i've not removed any of the turbo housing as yet.

Anyhow now the car which was boosting with all 3 leds lighting up is now only boosting up to two and is much slower. Its still holding a constant boost from what i can see though so i'm kinda hoping the turbos not on its way out..

ANy ideas where i can look for this again or what may be wrong.

Thank you.

Duff

Member +
Could be a boost leak mate, did you check all the lines for splits? Also what BOV have you got? Some older blitz ones leak boost when travelling at a constant speed..

Just a standard BOV.

If anyone could post a pic or a really poor diagram of where i need to be checking that would be a huge help. Only ones i've really looked at are near the boost solenoid.

Fishy89GT

Banned
all the pipes that go from the turbo to the intercooler...and then from the intercooler to the throttle body...check all the joins are really tight and no leaking...also any vac pipes...i.e the really thin ones that go from the inlet manifold...to the top of the bov...acutaor...they hiss alot when blown off/leaking,.

Nwimie

Member +
you sure the hissing sound isnt just the boost spooling up???

check all the jubilee clips on the intercooler piping sounds like a boost leak.

Fishy89GT

Banned
you sure the hissing sound isnt just the boost spooling up???

check all the jubilee clips on the intercooler piping sounds like a boost leak.

it could also be that...but you only really hear that when running an open/,meshed turbo on a ct9 as they are ickle

Nwimie

Member +
i dunno i get lots of spool up sound cos of my front mount :) my monie would be on a boost leak if he is loosing pressure.

my inclination is a leak as i feel like i've gone back to the old fessie 1.1 bonus i had 10 years ago. Just finding the bloofy thing.

Taking ages for boost leds to light, well two of them and thats only when you been on the throttle for ages.

Not turbo spool as i'm used to that ..

Annoying hell out of me, shall have another dig thursday when i am off.

Found the problem today. What was this pipe for. This has been plugged and seems to head down towards the turbo, one in the back of the pic has been bodged with a bit of gauze too that i need to replace.

COuldnt get any pipe today so had to go for gaff tape but car seems quicker than when i first bought it now that its all sealed. THANK GOD!

Any ideas what i can replug this with as the gaff tape is a bit unsightly although very functional.

DSC06754.jpg

DSC06755.jpg

Spoonz

Member +
ok that pipe gose the Standard BOV bit of a bodge by the looks of it. I suspect the hissing noise is from the top bit on the efi pipe. This wouldnt cause a boost leak unless the bottom bit of the pipe is leaking has the BOV is on the inlet side of the turbo
If i was u i wud go to toyota and get the pipe replaced

So am i right in thinking that red bung pipe and the gauze one should be joined with one bit of pipe then yeah?

If thats the case that makes things easier for me to sort