Under boosting after map?

callum

Member +
Ok so I had map forged 4e mapped yesterday on a td04 power fc ecu. It got mapped to just under 1.4 Barr because the tuner said. The more he raised the boost it never had any gains and said probs a faulty turbo. And I know there is a wee chip on the exhaust side on one of the fins? And also the car was throwing up high knock levels so went straight back and he adjusted the ignition timing off the rollers nd said sorry that should be it. And it reduced the knock. On my 130 mile journey home it was great. Although I noticed I would not reach the same boost after a while. And had not been hearing the ewg. So I turned the boost down to I don't know what. As I have 4boost settings he gave me. But it boosted about 1.1 and heard ewg and the car took off. It now struggles to boost more than a Barr but dose some time boost over 1.2 I have checked for boost leaks and I'm sure that's not the problem. Have racetec td04 kit and intercooler so should be spot on for being sealed. This morning I started it and it idles really high at 2k but drops after a few mins. I noticed my boost gauge which is taken from the inlet to a sensor then to a box in my car and then to the greedy gauge. Well any way it shows I have maximum vacuum off throttle. Ebc reads 20-21. But the ebc shows a higher boost level being reached than the gauge. I know my gauge was not doing this on my last run last night. I'm not to happy with the map at all. There is a few things concerning me. I need to try few things out to night. Hope it's just a shitty turbo. Car still runs spot on.

J25GTi

Lifer
I dont know how you can blame the mapper, the map cant change its self mid drive....

The intercooler brand makes no difference to how it "seals" that is all down to installation. If the EWG is not opening correctly then I would say it is a vaccuum or boost controller pressure.

If you get your spec up it would help!

ChrisD

Member +
Maybe a vacuum leak? I had a 4mm hose loose on air and idle vacuum was the same, although i lost about 0.2bar of boost.

callum

Member +
Yeah I don't think it's really my mapper. But changed turbo and is still the same. Starting to loose interest. Seems it's miss firing when foot to floor then pops and wacks straight into high boost. Iv seen it hold 1.4 Barr in 5th but drops out to under a Barr. And won't spool much over 1.2 when in 3rd nd 4th gear. My mates said today it puffed black reak every time I planted it. So ie when it misses then hits full boost. Don't think it misses when I turn boost setting Down one or two settings.
What sort of fuel pressure should it be running on idle just out of interest. It's spec is
Fully forged 4e
Race tec manifold and decat screamer
Race tec intercooler
Td04L tial 38mm waste gate.
Blitz I'd boost controller.
Sard 550cc injectors
Walbro
Sard rrfpr
Apexi power fc ecu
That's the main engine spec. Got another map booked for a few weeks away so might just whip the wepr td 05 hybrid on and see if see spools. 1.8barr at that just max it out see what happens. If I can sus this set up. And if it won't map right again and I can't find any leaks then I'm stumped. Will end up shed bound at this rate. Thrown money at now and no enjoying my 3 and a half year start friendship at this point of our relationship :/

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
Stock injectors are base pressure 32.77psi which gives base flow of 275.65 cc .

[ At low revs stock ecu adjusts fuel for Cold start, Ac, load conditions, long and short fuel fuel adjustment cycles etc. and uses the idle up valve cycles for adjustment as well. ]

Last edited:

J25GTi

Lifer
Yeah I don't think it's really my mapper. But changed turbo and is still the same. Starting to loose interest. Seems it's miss firing when foot to floor then pops and wacks straight into high boost. Iv seen it hold 1.4 Barr in 5th but drops out to under a Barr. And won't spool much over 1.2 when in 3rd nd 4th gear. My mates said today it puffed black reak every time I planted it. So ie when it misses then hits full boost. Don't think it misses when I turn boost setting Down one or two settings.
What sort of fuel pressure should it be running on idle just out of interest. It's spec is
Fully forged 4e
Race tec manifold and decat screamer
Race tec intercooler
Td04L tial 38mm waste gate.
Blitz I'd boost controller.
Sard 550cc injectors
Walbro
Sard rrfpr
Apexi power fc ecu
That's the main engine spec. Got another map booked for a few weeks away so might just whip the wepr td 05 hybrid on and see if see spools. 1.8barr at that just max it out see what happens. If I can sus this set up. And if it won't map right again and I can't find any leaks then I'm stumped. Will end up shed bound at this rate. Thrown money at now and no enjoying my 3 and a half year start friendship at this point of our relationship :/

Sounds ignition related, plugs etc...