uprated rear discs worth it?

churcherj

Member +
ive got a problem with my car atm, only started the last few days! when i brake it sounds like theres a really loud whailing sort of noise coming from the back like the discs are rubbing on something or the caliper. the discs look ruined, sort of warped and the brake pad is barely making contact on the disc (dangerous i know) so im sure its that, it even makes the noise when im not breaking but rolling along slowly!? anyway im almost certain its the discs, pads are fine! should i bother buying uprated discs like ebc drilled/grooved like i currently have on the front or are stock discs and pads fine? i realise the rear brakes only do around 20% of the braking but didnt know if anyone noticed a difference by uprating them? thanks :)

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
ya i hav my front uprated with groved discs an standard pads waitin on yellow stuff pads. drove a mate of mine wit groved discs alround and mintix pads and i didnt c any difference wot so ever. i feckon mine wil be better with the yellow stuff pads on just the front

Dan507

Member +
Uprated discs and pads dont just make the car stop quicker. It's to stop brake fade and to ventilate them so they cool down better/quicker making them more efficient.

You would only benifit if you where braking hard all the time.

churcherj

Member +
Uprated discs and pads dont just make the car stop quicker. It's to stop brake fade and to ventilate them so they cool down better/quicker making them more efficient.

ye i realise that mate, and so thats why i asked if doing the rears was really worth it, considering how much braking they actually do...think it may just be standard rear discs going on there....reps anyway lads

matt walters

Member +
i have grooved discs all round, yellow stuff pads on front and mintex rears and it stops brilliantly. definately better than before but thats prob just the front making the noticable difference tbh

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.

sorry mate il hav to disagree wit ya dere i feelway more grip on the pads when i break now b4 when i breaked hard you would feel the car not wanting to stop where as now it just stacks you to the road i did upgrade the bread fluid to dot 5.1 an i myself feel the breaks ar on even when ya tip dem thats my opinion

was talking to nick at td developments about this when i got my new brakes, he told me dont bother upgradeing the rears as the front make up about 80% of the hole braking on starlet so i just got upgraded fronts n stock rears

dac69er

Super Moderator
chances are the calipers are half siezed. spend some money on getting the rears working 100% and you will be alot better of that sticking some uprated discs on it.

glanzanut

Lifer
i have ebc crossdrilled disks front and back with yellowstuff pads, and compared to standard its night and day, however when im driving hard on backroads i can still cook the shit out of them and end up with horrendous brake fade. if your a hard driver then i would think a total upgrade to willwoods or something.
reckon that will be my next move

D3N0

Member +
Through experience i can tell u changing the rear disc to uprated ones do make a difference. At the time my front breaks where on there way out, but i had to change the rears first. after this change, i did notice the braking had improved. Also parked on a hill didnt require mass abouts of handbrake force, and was quite firm. A brake system relies on front and rear brakes to stop a car, so why would u not spend the little extra. its helps the front stop and supports the stability of the rear. so look at the system as a whole when upgrading.

dac69er

Super Moderator
after this change, i did notice the braking had improved. Also parked on a hill didnt require mass abouts of handbrake force, and was quite firm.

im sure it would have been exactly the same if you fitted a set of new stock discs.

i would only think about uprated rear discs if i wanted them to look better or used the car on the track, even then i would think twice before wasting money

D3N0

Member +
im sure it would have been exactly the same if you fitted a set of new stock discs.

i would only think about uprated rear discs if i wanted them to look better or used the car on the track, even then i would think twice before wasting money

Well, it can be debated really. i felt the difference from old oem to uprated, i think they do the job. i feel that over time with heavy sprited drives or track use, high temps, brake fade and total efficiency come into play. i personally prefer to be on the uprated side for us that little extra, as it does help. no one is gonna go out and do extensive test on the rear braking, but i know performance is push (doesnt even have to be to the limit) these small upgrades make a difference, especially to the system as a whole.

davehart

Member +
I think if the brake bias was more towards the rear and you were giving the car some serious track hammer it would be worth it.

For road use though, uprated rear's are a waste of money really.

churcherj

Member +
thanks for the info people, think i may just go for stock ones, as said the chances are that my calipers have seized abit so need to check that out.