URGENT HELP!!! ross piston pins not fitting scat rods

rwdrev

Member +
just had a call from the engineering shop to say the ross gudgeon pin dont fit in the scat rods. does the little end need a hone out so the pin just slips in, or does it need warming up and pressing in?

need help asap, cheers
:)

dac69er

Super Moderator
The pin should be tigh in the pistons but move freely on the little end of the rods. As above, sounds like they need machining to the correct size. Don't press them into the little ends otherwisebthe engine won't turn much!

rwdrev

Member +
The bush is supposed to be reamed for correct spec.
If it does not have a bush then it needs to be force fitted.

Thank F*CK for that!!!! thanks, i was panicking like hell that i had the wrong stuff. i will get onto my engineer about this and i should have the engine back in the next week or so. is there a clearance size for the pin? i dont think i have it on the data sheet, all i see is Pin Dia .709

Skalabala

Member +
If the pin floats in the piston then the pin will also be a force fit on the rod.
But as general E series engines piston pin floats on the rod. But there has been mix ups between aftermarket items!
However most of the times the rods with a bushing will come to small so that machinist can match the piston pin.
You want the clearance around 0.015mm

rwdrev

Member +
awsome!!! i will get this info to the shop on monday. i have been on a downer since friday cos i thought it wasnt gonna work and i was gonna have to fork out more money for more parts. but if this is what needs doing then this is brilliant news.

Skalabala

Member +
Bud even if the parts are not correct the machine shop will be able to fix it!
So no more downer and have a cold one :D

rwdrev

Member +
it went down really well. :D best get the last few bits ordered. (head gasket, timing belt, oil and filters)