waste spark and knock

haydn28

Member +
can running a waste spark setup encounter knock more than distributor or COP ignition systems? Your views please

I'm thinking sparks on the 'waste' cylinder igniting a fuel/air charge especially with a cam with a lot of duration and positive intake pressure compared to exhaust pressure

GP82

Member +
Don't think it would without compression on the waste cylinder unless there is something a miss in the tune, like fuel injection on over run or alot of heat build up within the cylinder and a very rich a/f where all the fuel has not had the chance to burn, but i don't know to be honest as i am no tuner, but this is interesting! Why do you opt for a wasted spark setup, does your management not allow for a sequential setup or is there a specific reason for the waste spark setup?

AdamB

Member +
The chances are you probably won't be able to get knock on that cylinder. Few reasons : There is no cylinder pressure because the exhaust valve is open, there is no ignition unless the combustion temps are that hot the rich AFR will cause the mixture to combust.

However individual cylinder trim tuning does come in handy ;)