what springs should i go for???

andrewvturbo

Member +
looking to buy KYB SHOCK'S but what springs do i go for:confused: im thinking RS*R thay are 20-25mm drop so i hear. but this that enough. my worry is if my glanza its going to sit to high..also dont want my car to low
lol..

churcherj

Member +
looking to buy KYB SHOCK'S but what springs do i go for:confused: im thinking RS*R thay are 20-25mm drop so i hear. but this that enough. my worry is if my glanza its going to sit to high..also dont want my car to low
lol..

i would go for coilovers mate then u can adjust them to the exact height you want, although they are more expensive but worth it imo, will most likely handle better depending what ones you go for

i hav 60mm lowering springs on my gt perfect height you can fit one finger between tyre an arch but still goes over the ramps alright lowered my last starlet 40mm an it was still a bit high for my liking

dac69er

Super Moderator
best springs i have experienced on the starlets are the teins and trd springs.

dont buy cheapo crap like apex or Pi as they are just poo.

andrewvturbo

Member +
i already have coilover's but finding them to hard i was think of selling them and going for KYB with springs or MeisterR coilovers

TURBO2010

Member +
hey mate i ad the same prob ad coilovers and found them 2 hard so switched to kybs and love em!! its lowered 30 to 35mm and i find them perfect!! i have 16s and they soak up the bumps very well!!

ibz

Member +
my mates got spax springs on standard shocks and they seem good. slightly stiff but handle well

Member +
iv had 4 different set-ups - 2 of which were coilovers. the best so far for me is std shocks with tein springs - you can really take the back roads in anger, which is something you wont be able to do with coilovers.
sacodetoro has kyb sr specials and espelier springs, and i am yet to see anything better - its soo easy to drive at naughty speeds.
Ed

Fizturbo

Member +
Driving MR2 local around town coilover's drives me crazy its like goin on a roller coaster :p

Thats the only reason av not got coilover's on the GT ,With the kyb an teins springs its smoother over bumps an through massive pot holes :haha:

Glanza D

Member +
Defo tein springs, best springs on the market in my personal opinion.

PS : i have a set for sale if interested ;) due to upgrading to coilovers

MeisterR

Lifer
hey mate i ad the same prob ad coilovers and found them 2 hard so switched to kybs and love em!! its lowered 30 to 35mm and i find them perfect!! i have 16s and they soak up the bumps very well!!

iv had 4 different set-ups - 2 of which were coilovers. the best so far for me is std shocks with tein springs - you can really take the back roads in anger, which is something you wont be able to do with coilovers.
sacodetoro has kyb sr specials and espelier springs, and i am yet to see anything better - its soo easy to drive at naughty speeds.
Ed

Driving MR2 local around town coilover's drives me crazy its like goin on a roller coaster :p

Thats the only reason av not got coilover's on the GT ,With the kyb an teins springs its smoother over bumps an through massive pot holes :haha:

Coilovers doesn't have to be stiff or rock hard...
End of the day, they are the same as a springs and a damper, so if specified correctly... they can be just as comfortable.

What a good coilovers can provide is multiple adjustment to fine tune the ride to your preference or to the condition of the surfaces.

The problem is that most people have only experienced ultra stiff coilovers or Japanese brand coilovers... both of these are not meant to be driven on UK back roads with uneven surfaces and loads of bumps...

A good set of coilovers bring alot to the table than just ride height adjustment.
Properly setup it can provide more predictable weight transfer than a spring/damper setup, leading to a better ride and more driver confidence.

I just feel that coilovers have been given a bad "rep" because there have not been enough coilovers on the market that are designed properly for the intended purposes... and therefore coilovers are often miss understood and stereotyped as being rock hard and uncomfortable. :(

andrewvturbo

Member +
cheers m8 i will probably go for 30-35 myself i have 15's should be just right

andrewvturbo

Member +
yeah ill go for KYB shocks with tein spring i think.i've had 2 set of coilover's but for me thay are to hard the car feel unstable on bumpy roads

cheers
Ed

rmsnoel

Member +
Apex springs are consistant and relible, dont sag, have about 35mm-40mm lower and arnt over priced. Worked really well with kyb standard replacement shocks and now koni's.
35mm is the lowest you want to go overwise your drives and steering will be at silly angles. Get rear anti-roll bar and panhard rod. Panhard first so you can line-up your rear axle so that drivers side rear doesnt rub. Then with the ARB you'll stick with coilovered cars no problem