wheel nuts

cooz93

Member +
Where can i get a set of 16.. or 4 sets of 4 wheel nuts that wont be prone to stripping? preferably black and cheap. rep for help

dac69er

Super Moderator
when you say stripping i assume you mean the threads? how tight are you doing them? if you overtighten them then the threads can quickly strip, especially on alloy or cheapo nuts.

dark_knight

Member +
allen nuts

you are better off getting the (extended) allen key type nuts. they look way cooler and you are less likely to chip the paint on the exterior as the (lock) key goes on the inside of the nut..

dac69er

Super Moderator
you are better off getting the (extended) allen key type nuts. they look way cooler and you are less likely to chip the paint on the exterior as the (lock) key goes on the inside of the nut..

they just rust on the inside instead. had a set of these and really didnt like them. after being off a few times they started to wear a bit and the allen key that came with it started to lock up when undoing them making it a pain in the arse.

dark_knight

Member +
lube on nuts

@dac69er: now that you mentioned rust, i have heard that you can lube the nuts/studs with a little oil to prevent rust and excessive creaking when torquing them. does this help..? you think..?

cooz93

Member +
Think they stripped cause they were cheap alu ones off eBay. Im a tyre fitter and it's the first out of thousands of nuts I've done that I've stripped:/ also some of the actuall wheel bolts, that come throgh the hub have stripped! Basically had a bit of a nightmare and now trying to put it straight

dac69er

Super Moderator
@dac69er: now that you mentioned rust, i have heard that you can lube the nuts/studs with a little oil to prevent rust and excessive creaking when torquing them. does this help..? you think..?

just a bit of copper grease on the threads should be fine. thats all i use. never have any trouble.

knackered threads on the bolts themselves is usually due to monkeys over torqing them or cross threading the nuts on

aidan

Member +
i just give mine a small squeeze with a half inch ratchet i seen people hanging off wheel nuts with 3 and 4 foot power bars no need for it

dark_knight

Member +
human torque wrench

@aidan: i concur, i did this a while back and since then have been pretty accurate since - i borrowed a torque wrench from a mate and using the same length of the wrench lever, kinda estimated how brute i needed to be to get the nuts to the recommended torque. so these days, even without the torque wrench, when just using my blind arm, i'm pretty accurate to how much torque i'm giving the wheel nuts.. :)