where do i stand - works insurance

monka

Member +
right,
i work at a small garage, about 5 people employed all together.
and due to the recession, as per many small business's, we are struggling, although managing to pull through.

on thursday morning, i was driving the work van when someone stopped in front of me at a roundabout, resulting in me hitting them, very light damage in both vehicles, on the person i hit, rear bumper and crash bar. and on our works van (which my boss got for free as it was a non runner) front bumper, radiator, and crash bar.

would i be right in assuming, that as this was a work vehicle, which i was only drivinh because of work, in work hours, that this goes through the companys insurance? my boss at the time told the guy that he would just pay for it to be done rather than go through the insurance. at the time seemed strange but thought nothing of it.

today i have been sorting out the works van and my boss has said a couple of things to make me think that we have no insurance.

to my knowledge we did, i wouldnt have driven an inch have we had not.

just basically, if my boss turns around and says i have to pay for the damage, where do i stand, i would have been happy to pay if it was my decision, but not if he has said he doesnt want to go through insurance him self.

sorry about the essay, just never crashed before, just bricking it a bit. lol

If he instructed you to drive the van then he is the one liable. His decision to not go through the insurance is up to him but you won't have to pay for anything.