white smoke/ mist from exhaust help ??

nicky_glanza

Member +
alright folks.

long story short bought a black glanza cheap cheap knowing there was a problem. its puffing out like a mist/very light white smoke almost not white at all if that makes sense. its happening more on idle. at my fist instinct is theres water getting into the pots some how?

i bought the car knowing it may need an engine but looking at it now it could be just an easy fix.

few people have been saying that its the compression rings? is there truth in this or am i looking at something not as major?

any help is much appreciated!

nicky

AdamB

Member +
Take the cap off the water bottle and check to see if there's any oil residue in there. Check the oil filler cap also.
To test the piston rings get hold of a compression tester or leak down test, that will indicate if the engine is healthy. Another thing to check would be the PCV valve on top of the rocker cover.

superspat

Member +
dose it do from cold or only when warm?
dose it smoke on boost at all? are you losing much oil and is it dumping oil out of the dump valve?

nicky_glanza

Member +
Take the cap off the water bottle and check to see if there's any oil residue in there. Check the oil filler cap also.
To test the piston rings get hold of a compression tester or leak down test, that will indicate if the engine is healthy. Another thing to check would be the PCV valve on top of the rocker cover.

theres a smallest big of mayo on the oil cap but think this is just built up crap as everything else is clean. trying to get a hold of a compression tester and will know for definite.

dose it do from cold or only when warm?
dose it smoke on boost at all? are you losing much oil and is it dumping oil out of the dump valve?

only when its warmed up mate. its actually puffing out at such a rate that theres water lying in the back box tip...

@nicky_glanza: how many miles/km on the clock and is it a modded engine or pretty much all stock..?

car has 65k and there are genuine as you just know with the interior and even state of the car its pratically mint.

my only thought fellas is theres possibly a crack in the head?

AdamB

Member +
If it's doing when warm, then it's burning water, at a fast rate like you say. Get hold of a compression tester and try that, get back to us with the results :)

dark_knight

Member +
cracked head?

@nicky_glanza: you mentioned the possibility of a crack in the head. have you heard/seen anything else that may make your suspicions dip towards this..? blowing exhaust perhaps..?
get the compression test done and let's see if we can narrow down the possibilities..

nicky_glanza

Member +
If it's doing when warm, then it's burning water, at a fast rate like you say. Get hold of a compression tester and try that, get back to us with the results :)

@nicky_glanza: you mentioned the possibility of a crack in the head. have you heard/seen anything else that may make your suspicions dip towards this..? blowing exhaust perhaps..?
get the compression test done and let's see if we can narrow down the possibilities..

well fellas done the test there tonight.

cylinder 1 = 9bar
cylinder 2 = 10 3/4
cylinder 3 = 10 3/4
cylinder 4 = 10 3/4

cylinder 1 seems to be down.
however tonight there seems to be no mist at all after i hoked the balls out of it. really puzzling me!
would this mean rings, a cracked head or block or just a gasket?
or is 9bar normal enough?

AdamB

Member +
All cylinders should be within a bar of each other, them results don't seem too bad.
Have you tried a new PCV valve?
Have you noticed a loss of water from the expansion bottle at all?

dark_knight

Member +
further diagnosis

now that we have the c-test results which seem fine to me (where fine = within acceptable limits), run it for a little to see if any other symptomatic clues come up. this is puzzling indeed.. :p

nicky_glanza

Member +
now that we have the c-test results which seem fine to me (where fine = within acceptable limits), run it for a little to see if any other symptomatic clues come up. this is puzzling indeed.. :p

would a pcv valve make it steam now and again?
as you say theres no loss of performance but just this bit of steam now and again. really bugging me as i like a car thats 100 percent!
spacecraft i shall let you know if theres any change but think ile just strip it down and see if i can see anything. for all it takes me!

guys you have been a great help! much appreciated

dark_knight

Member +
pcv valve

no problem mate. always glad to be of assistance..
actually, come to think of it, a dodgy pcv valve may just be your culprit. if the engine had been spewing out a lot of crank breath in its past life, it's likely that the old oil has fouled the valve. always worth a check..

nicky_glanza

Member +
no problem mate. always glad to be of assistance..
actually, come to think of it, a dodgy pcv valve may just be your culprit. if the engine had been spewing out a lot of crank breath in its past life, it's likely that the old oil has fouled the valve. always worth a check..

i will try that later on cheers bud!

AdamB

Member +
The PCV valve is just a one way valve, if you take it off, blow down it, if you don't feel air on one side it's blocked and will need replacing.