whooshing sound- bad turbo?

japakos

Member +
As the title says, before I hit any boost at all , no matter if I floor it or not, I hear a whooshing sound NOT high-pitched from the turbo. If I floor it, it's still there but within the same tune. Not hissing, whooshing but you can't really notice it because of the usual turbo sound. I have NO boost leaks whatsoever, triple tested with air compressor and tools I have, no vacuum leaks , and no exhaust/manifold leaks, nothing. It doesn't affect performance not even a bit , but this stupid sound is there. It's like hearing the turbo doing it's job. No oil leaks either.. I only found a really tiny small amount of oil inside the exhaust manifold collector but nothing to worry about it as it was very little. I played with the turbo shaft, there is some play but nothing like it's touching the walls or something. Maybe the turbo it's on it's way? I rebuilt it before 2500miles balanced/new bearing etc etc. Any help? It's a tong hybrid running at 1.1 bar

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
I'm confused. You can hear the turbo so you think it's on its way out?

Don't worry about it

japakos

Member +
I can hear it whooshing while spooling. It is not a normal sound. It's a thicker sound than spooling if I make any sense

dac69er

Super Moderator
If it's a kinda whining sound then every turbo I have had rebuilt has done it to some degree.
One turbo lasted 2 years before I sold it. I guess it was ok since.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse

japakos

Member +
It sounds like spooling but heavier. Actually it is the spooling itself but I can hear it louder than it's supposed to be. It's not grinding metal or anything like that. But you hear a heavy feeeeeeewww. It's like whining yes

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Did it make the sound straight after the rebuild or was it quiet after the rebuild?

check to see you have the air intake pipe on correctly and the rubber gasket doesnt have a kink in it where it connects onto the turbo

japakos

Member +
No it started doing this all of a sudden. Everything is on correctly that's why I'm suspecting the turbo itself.

japakos

Member +
UPDATE:
I went for a short ride, raced it a little. Once I parked and on idle I saw blue-white smoke coming out of the exhaust. It was the turbo afterall , i think it just died. I will see what happened once I get back home

Last edited:

japakos

Member +
I just got back home, didn't smoke whatsoever but my home is nearby. I am pretty sure if I leave it on idle for a long time it will start doing it. Any ideas?