Wibbly steering column??

Guys

For a little while i have had a wobble in the steering column from about 60-60mph which would dissipate above or below these speeds. I assumed this was just wheels needing a balance and had held off for a while.

I also have now when moving off in slow traffic a little bit of a judder which i'm guessing is clutch related to a degree but not sure what. Clutch engages and disengages fine. Just a bit juddery when i pull off.

Now though if i am running on idle through traffic in 1st gear the steering column seems to jolt about a little bit ( i'm not roo hopping though ) and then dumbs down as you go above idle.

From experience i am thinking something is about to go badly wrong.

Any thoughts on where a mechanically inadequate chap may start??

Thanks guys.

SupaStu

Member +
If you experience a wobble at a certain speed then above or below that it goes away, you will need your wheels balanced, as the weight balancing of them is not correct.

Get this sorted first and see how it feels, its a quick job for a tyre garage, might also be an idea to get the tracking and alignment checked at the same time. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
like supastu said, get the wheels balanced 1st.

the shaking steering wheel is normal on the adjustable steering column cars.
and the juddery clutch is either becuase you have an uprated one and you need a bit more revs, you have a leaky rear crankshaft seal or some other contamination on the clutch, or the clutch is getting old and tired.

my GT always did it with the crappy exedy standard uprated clutch and my runabout starlet is starting to do it now and then with the stock clutch.

try revving the car a bit while going along and then lifting the clutch up a bit so it slips. dont go too mad. try this and then see if this reduces the juddering at all.