wishbone bushes, info needed asap

need a quick reply really.

bought 2 new front wishbones from TM Developments on ebay, good quality arrived quickly etc etc etc.

now i bought them because i wanted to add caster adjustability to the lower ball joint. spent 4 hours making this, cutting and welding and job all done. about to send to have them repowdercoated.

but now i can't find alot of information on this but i test fitted into the rear mounting bracket (the one where you normally fit your antilift kit) and the bushes that are fitted just seem very loose. Now the cars a 1999 so has that long 4 bolt bracket for holding that bush on over the normal small 2 bolt bracket from the earlier ep91's

is there anything different between the years or is this bush the same? i'm picking up that there might be a different style bush and why my versions are so sloppy and just don't match the bracket properly.

and if they are does anyone know i can buy that bush frm toyota without the whole wishbone so i can swap it over? as i don't really want to waste £100 on these wishbones and 4 hours of my time making all the modifications.

any information would be good as there wasn't a year sellection from TMDev when i bought them

cheers guys

Tim :)

Texx

Super Moderator
PRI Racing list 2 different sizes for the rear bush:

35mm Bracket

50mm Bracket

Going by the OEM part numbers PRI list, the EPC suggests that the 50mm bracket would be for cars built between 01/1996-12/1997 and the 35mm bracket for cars built between 12/1997-07/1999.

Did you leave the tubes from the old bushes on the arms?

ah crap so there are 2 different types. wish TMD would have said when selling before i cut them up to make this.

the arms are brand new never been fitted :( so yeah i could put poly bushes on there but i did this caster adjustment mod to remove the whiteline anti-lift kit as its adjustment and poly bush made to much noise.

plan was to get more adjustment doing it my way but retaining rubber bushes to keep road noise down.

anyone know if you can buy just the correct bush from toyota?

if those bushes are available from toyota for 100% or not. surely they don't expect you to replace the whole arm if one fails, every other toyota every bush is available separably

Tim

Texx

Super Moderator
ep91lowerarm.png

see what you mean. wish TMD would have put that on there website :(

looks like i'm going to have to go poly bush now. defeating the whole point of me doing this conversion. oh well another £100 down the shitter lol. seem to be the way with this starlet, get get what i ordered or get ripped off with everything i buy 2nd hand :(

Anyway rant over, cheers anyway

Tim :( not a happy boy

Texx

Super Moderator
The early EP91 brackets are the same as an EP82, fire me a PM around mid day tomorrow to remind me and I'll go hunting for the pair I pulled off the GT and get them in the post to you.

great thanks mate.

I have the old brackets (long versions) I'm sure I can cut the front off and weld that small style to it. make a bit of a bastadised mount but it'll allow me to keep the rubber mounts, but also give the added strength and rigidity of the longer 4 bolt mounting system.

think this caster adjustment should work well :) got about 15mm movement on the front ball joint from factory to positive caster. i'll find out how much adjustment in degree's that gives me when i get it on the laser alignment machine. But the whiteline kit effectively moves the ball joint forward about 5mm i found from rough measuring

Texx

Super Moderator
I found the Whiteline kit gave some serious ARB clearance issues, ended up putting plates in to space the ARB down but still can't get the full adjustment without the lower arms rubbing.

yeah same here, i also found that the whiteline ARB doesn't sit quite right it keeps wanting to pull itself to the left all the time. so i added some lateral thrust washers to the bar that sits against the bushes to keep it where it should. that helped with the spacers but the Anti-lift kit just causes problems i found.

ARB isn't great either but hopefully with putting the arms back to there stock position and then using the custom wishbones i made to give you the caster adjustment you get the same effect if not more adjustment but without all the negative side effects.

while where moaning about whiteline stuff haha, i also find the rear antirollbar kit a bit cheap and nasty as well. the system that holds it to the axle itself is crude, one of the future projects is to make a proper ARB mount on the axle with welded plates and captive nuts, but also that L bracket that bolts through the subframe, you can't bolt it right as it crushes the chassis leg, and to loose it makes loads of noise. Another project i've made up some U shape brackets that encase the chassis and then have an arm coming off for the drop link. everything will get welded to the chassis then and found you can use a proper rosejoint style drop link from the rear of an mr2 turbo over those stupid supplied ones.

Texx

Super Moderator
Can't say I've been overly impressed with the quality of Whiteline stuff myself.

I've got the rear end from an AE92 Corolla GTi sat in the workshop that I need to take a second look at. If the rear subframe can be located in the correct position it may well be a good basis for independent rear suspension with adjustable toe and camber.

you have any pictures of that setup i can look at? i had thought about doing custom rear suspension as well but if you can get stuff tat is mostly done just getting it to mount to the car it would be a bonus.

piccys would be nice :)

Tim
:)