xbox rrod, yeah i fixed it

stedee

Member +
well my 360 finally gave up after 3 years of ownership, it broke 3 X when i first had it(one of the first batch) but since then it has been fine.
well anyway i had the ring of death, read on the net that the heatsink clips are the problem and replaced them with m5 screws, cleaned the chips and heatsinks, scrounged some heat paste from pcworld and hey presto it actually works - yi ha - back on cod 5 kicking ass

stuart

Member +
I not had that yet :( - dan (bobballbang) had it not so long back... although I got 1 of those little fan thingys u connect to back of xbox like. if u fixed it though, top man!!

stedee

Member +
the hardest part is getting the plastics apart, piece of piss especially if you know your way round a computer. what happens is the h/sink clips are warping the m/board when the chip gets hot, the solder is getting soft and pulling the chips out of the board, basically you replace the clips with screws, tighten like doing a hg change - ie opposites a turn at a time then leave the fan disconnected and turn it on until it overheats which is 2 red lights instead of 3, then turn off and leave for an hour - basically the solder will have softened and let the m/board go back to its original position,

turn on and it works.

dac69er

Super Moderator
the hardest part is getting the plastics apart, piece of piss especially if you know your way round a computer. what happens is the h/sink clips are warping the m/board when the chip gets hot, the solder is getting soft and pulling the chips out of the board, basically you replace the clips with screws, tighten like doing a hg change - ie opposites a turn at a time then leave the fan disconnected and turn it on until it overheats which is 2 red lights instead of 3, then turn off and leave for an hour - basically the solder will have softened and let the m/board go back to its original position,

turn on and it works.

so you remove the spring clips that are on the bottom of the chips? where do the m5 screws go and what do they screw into?

Gee

Member +
Don't worry..only a matter of time before it over heats and the solder cracks :D

Some people actually wrap them in a towel and bake them in the oven. Really works too! But as Microsoft give 3 years warranty for 3 red lights of death you just send it back.

aaronw

Member +
i had a intercooler for it also. but the xbox guy from support told me to take it off. soi aint usin it,there loud!! paid £10 from ebay for it.

got 2 xboxes one on its way back from gettin repaired

Johnny_C

Lifer
my brothers lasted 3 months,had to send it away.
you would think they'd upgrade it when they repair it,or do they?

aaronw

Member +
dont think they do. but it is free and if they cant repair it they will replace it with a recon'd one.

Gee

Member +
I have sent about 3 back to Microsoft in total. Twice they replaced the motherboard and drive, but the last time they just changed over the whole console.

Oh and those fans are a good idea, but they run of the exsisting power supply which I have heard can cause problems, shorting out or running hot or something...cant win!

The new Xbox comes with the new improved motherboard now which is not prone to over heat or get cracked solder etc, so hopefully they will send you one of those.

stedee

Member +
mine was sent back 3 times when i first had it and i thought in the end they sent me a new one but now i know it was a refurb because the seal inside had been replaced and you could see the old one underneath.it is actually a design flaw so it will happen again -maybe like me it could be 3 years later if you are lucky, ive heard the new elite 360s have a different setup with the heatsink. some ppl actually do what ive done when their 360 is ok to stop the rrod ever happening.

ive heard that towel trick is a big no no

so you remove the spring clips that are on the bottom of the chips? where do the m5 screws go and what do they screw into?

right - the funny little screws on the heatsink that the clips fit into , you can undo them and the thread on the x bit is then a m5 which you use the m5 screws, i used 4 m5 screws and 4 m6 washers and 4 nylon m6 washers to make sure nothing is shorting out on the bottom of the board.

aaronw

Member +
got my 360 back today,was replaced with a new console,1 months free 'xbox live' for my troubles.

now to send off my other 360,as that too gets red lights,but once reset its fine.

i called up to say and said they would send lables,next day there was a guy at the door to collect it, 27days later (over chrimbo) till today when it was delivered.

personally i think there service is perfect! im a happy customer anyway.

stedee

Member +
got my 360 back today,was replaced with a new console,1 months free 'xbox live' for my troubles.

now to send off my other 360,as that too gets red lights,but once reset its fine.

i called up to say and said they would send lables,next day there was a guy at the door to collect it, 27days later (over chrimbo) till today when it was delivered.

personally i think there service is perfect! im a happy customer anyway.

i dont know what they do to em these days but when i first had my 360 when they 1st came out it broke 3 times in about 6 weeks, yeah there service is very good but the repair is shite

the thing is its such a stupid design flaw and a cheap fix, the x clip holds the h/sink onto the chip by pushing on the m/board in one point about 5mm squared which then warps the board, when the chip gets hot it pulls awaay from the board because the solder is soft, the solder gets soft because the h/sink isnt good enough, this would be ok if the m/board wasnt getting warped by the x-clip, that is why the fix with 4 screws instead of the x-clip works because the board stays flat and therefore when the solder gets soft the chip doesnt pull away from the board.

i love my xbox but it is the most unreliable console ever, ive still got a snes upstairs which works everytime, cant beat cartridges